Prologue

A/N: Hello, and welcome to Vision of Truth! This is the first in a multi-part series following the Naruto anime. The story will begin about eight months before the anime and go from there. For now, events will generally happen the same, but at some point I may veer off in a different direction. This probably won't happen until the next part of the story though. If you're wondering what the subtitle means, you'll find out soon enough.

I have always enjoyed portal fiction and thought it would work well in the Naruto universe. Just a note, Naruto the anime and manga does not exist in the "real world" in this story, so my main character Katsumi has no prior knowledge of characters or events. Hopefully the prologue will successfully explain what is going on. Also, Katsumi is about three years older than Naruto and the others. I did not originally intend for this to be the case, but it makes sense for story reasons. This makes her the same age as Temari, so it should be fine.

I do enjoy writing romance, but I do not know what direction it will take in this story. My focus here is friendship, and Katsumi does have personal reasons for avoiding romance. I do hope to have her eventually work through her problems, which may include entering a relationship herself. We'll see how it goes. She will develop strong bonds with several characters, so let me know if you see any romantic potential with any of them. I welcome any and all feedback.

Without further ado, here is the prologue!

***

14 Years Earlier...

"Years ago, a young ninja settled with his parents in the newly founded Village Hidden in the Leaves in the Land of Fire. It was there that he discovered a portal to another world - a world of advanced technology where ninjas were a myth and ninjutsu and genjutsu, fantasies. At first, the man simply enjoyed exploring the new world, but then he fell in love with a beautiful young woman.

"When the villagers found out about the portal, they were enraged. The feared the portal and the new world. Wishing to prevent trouble before it occurred, the man offered to remain in the other world so the portal could be closed. But no matter how hard the ninjas of the village tried, no ninjutsu could close the portal completely. And besides that, the village could not afford to lose one of the last ninjas able to create a lightning force-field shield.

"Then the Hokage discovered a solution. He could prevent a potential invasion form the new world by restricting the portal opening to use of the shield jutsu - if a shield user passed through the portal every so often, the power within the portal would allow it to remain closed at all other times. With this, the Hokage used ninjutsu to craft a set of rules. The man who discovered the portal would be allowed to live in the other world and marry his beloved - but at a cost.

"On the summer solstice 14 years after he first produced a child, he must send his firstborn through the portal to be raised as a ninja by his own parents. The same fate would befall his grandchild, and each firstborn of a new generation would alternate world in this way. Balance would be restored, and the portal's threat negated. The man agreed because he loved the woman from the other world. And so it began.

"True to his word and the ninjutsu that bound him, the man sent me at 14 years of age to the Leaf Village to become a ninja. Then I had a son, who I was forced to send away to the other world. And now I have heard news that my son has had a daughter - Katsumi - and she is destined to follow the same fate and enter our world in 14 years time. She will become a ninja."

Kotaro Nishioko finished the story with a somber tone. The portal in question hovered next to him - a swirling sphere of energy hidden deep within the tree atop the mountain, where his son had sent a piece of paper with his granddaughter's name. His audience consisted of Minato and his team: Kakashi, Rin, and Obito. Kotaro was pleased to see the last of these listening with rapt attention - and he had not even gotten to the best part!

"That's a fascinating story, sir," said Rin, "but what does it have to do with us?"

Kotaro smiled. "I'm glad you asked. There is one thing I have not yet mentioned. Closing the portal required not only the power of the Hokage and my father's shield jutsu but a Uchiha's Sharingan as well! Though the secret has not been unlocked, I believe there is a way to use the shield and Sharingan together to permanently close the portal and spare my descendants from their unfortunate fate."

"Do you think I can do it?" Obito said, his eyes wide in wonder. "Can I help you break the curse?"

"Doubtful," said Kakashi. "You're not powerful enough. You haven't even activated your Sharingan."

Obito glared at him. "I am too strong enough!"

"Power alone is not enough," said Kotaro. "It may be Obito's desire to help that allows him to succeed."

"I do want to help. You shouldn't have to live somewhere you don't want to!"

Kotaro gave him a sad smile. "It is too late for me. The worst part of the curse is not losing my own freedom but being forced to take away that of my son's." He gazed at the portal as if he could see through it to the other world. "My granddaughter is already bound for this world, but perhaps I can spare her the fate of sacrificing her own child." He looked back at Obito. "There is still much to learn about the portal. If you start now, there is much you may offer Katsumi when she arrives."

A wide grin spread across Obito's face. "Okay, then it's settled!" He hopped up off the ground and approached the portal, placing his hand against the vortex. "Hi, Katsumi. I'm Obito Uchiha, and I promise I'll help you break your curse."

"You can't make a promise to someone you don't know," Kakashi said.

"Well, I just did!"

While the kids discussed the portal, Minato moved closer to Kotaro and said in a low voice, "Interesting idea you have here. And here I thought your family cut ties with the Uchihas."

"We did, and that was a mistake," Kotaro said just as quietly. "I know what my father went through, but it is time to put the past in the past. That is the only way to move forward. We must forge new bonds if we want anything to change."

Minato nodded. "Very wise, but aren't you getting ahead of yourself? 14 years is a long time. Everything could change."

"I know, and that's why I have to start now." Kotaro gazed at Obito, who had his hand against the portal, looking for a reaction. "There is a light in his eyes I have not seen in another Uchiha. He is full of optimism and hope - just the kind of person we need to discover the secrets of the portal. I know that very well may change. Life has away of pressing down on all of us and threatening our light, and the Uchihas seem to have it the worst of all. Power corrupts, and the Sharingan gives them plenty of that.

"I suppose I'm hoping that, if I start now, I will give Obito something to hold onto when the world challenges him. With a head start, he may find proof that his goals are possible. If he starts thinking about Katsumi now, he may truly be able to help her when she arrives." Kotaro paused and looked back at Minato. "And then maybe they can change the fate of my clan... and his."

Minato stared at him for a long moment before responding. "You would put all your hope into one boy?"

"What else do I have left? I have already lost my wife and given away my son. I know how betrayed he felt, but I had no choice..."

"I know. Raiden was my friend. He would have made an excellent ninja."

Kotaro fixed his gaze on the portal. "I know it may be farfetched, but we need to end this sooner rather than later - for Katsumi and all who come after her. Or else I fear we will lose all of our chances."

"Don't worry!" Obito said loudly, popping up in front of him and pointing at his chest with his thumb. "I'll close the portal for sure!"

Kotaro smiled his first smile in a long time. "I'm sure you will, boy. I'm sure you will."