then, in the midst of all the chaos, lan y/n heard a sound.

like water dropping into a calm river after a raging storm had passed. lan y/n grunted. every time he played, he saw this, like he was experiencing a dream. everything around him became blurred, as two blurry figures appeared before him.

"is this what you really want... gege?"

he heard. his eyes widened. the two figures were blurred out, and wavering, as if they could vanish into thin air if lan y/n blinked. he knew who those voices belonged to, at least he thinks so, but he didn't want to get his hopes up.

he thinks everything he's seeing right now could very well just be a figment of his imagination. his eyes stared into the two figures. "you two are always here, what do you want from me?" lan y/n asked the figures.

"gege, is this what you want?" another voice says.

"you don't have to tie yourself down, you can be free and move on." the other says.

"how can i move on? look at me, i'm a mess!" lan y/n cries, dropping to his knees. his hands gripped at the earth, the soil staining his fingertips.

his erhu laid on the ground beside his hand, just laying there as if waiting to be picked up.

"don't listen to those two." lan y/n felt an overwhelmingly dark pressure appear behind him as a dark and shadowy hand reached down to his arm, placing it over his hand and then guiding it to his fallen instrument.

"kill them." the voice behind him says.

"take revenge for the fallen." it continues.

a shadowy hand grasps his other hand, the hand which held the bow of his instrument, and guides it to the erhu. "kill them all, lan y/n!!" lan y/n felt as if his entire being was being controlled by the dark figure behind him. "kill those wens, they're at fault for all your suffering!!" lan y/n heard it. the melody of death echoing in his ears, which he played on his erhu as he was guided by the darkness behind him. he picked up his fallen instrument.

"you've already fallen this far, why hold back?" the voice urged him more.

he picks up his fallen instrument as if he were stuck in a haze. "they already see you as a monster. why deny your true nature?" he rested the bow on the strings of the erhu. the darkness guided his hands.

"they should suffer as well, don't you think? the wens? it's only fair after all." the dark voice encouraged him more and more, but he wasn't playing. lan y/n's eyes remain glued to the two figures in front of him. he wanted to reach out to the two figures in front of him. he wanted to talk to them, to hold them. jinjiu, shang yiu.

"gege..." they called out, their voices slowly fading away.

"stay away from him!" the voice angrily roars, the darkness expanding from behind him.

the dark figure behind him wrapped its dark aura around him, keeping him close. "you don't need them, lan y/n." the voice behind him says. "i'm the only one you will ever need." lan y/n closed his eyes, feeling his entire body being moved by an unknown force as if he had lost control of his body while he played the song with his erhu. the darkness behind him continued wrapping all over his body as he continued to play.

"everyone will leave you one day." the darkness continues swallowing him up.

"but i... i will never leave you." the final rays of light were slowly disappearing from lan y/n's vision. he blinked his eyes, his gaze looking from the blurry images of the two child-like figures. "gege.." they called, but their voices barely reached lan y/n.