Chapter 35 - Critical

Start from the beginning

*******************************

Jay's Point of View

Alright, here's the thing. I don't have a younger sister, but Mia's the closest thing I've got.

I may have dropped the ball before with Sean, but he was a nice guy then, I swear. And If I had known how it was going to end up, I never would've suggested the two of them get together.

But Mia made it through that, and she's a stronger person now because of it. That doesn't mean that I want her to go through it again though.

I've never been exactly what you would call protective over her. Most of the time, I let her handle her problems on her own, and she's more than capable.

But this... I've never seen her like this. This is bad. And right now, she's a mess because a guy that I considered a friend lied to her, and to me, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not pissed.

"You see? This is all his fault. He did this," I say to Zack, as he rubs a hand on Mia's back comfortingly. He gives me a look, but he doesn't respond because he knows I'm right. "And if I have anything to say about it," I continue, "he's not going to have a chance to do it again."

Just as I finish, the front doorbell rings.

"Mia, are you expecting anybody?" I ask, leaning down next to her.

"No," she says. "My parents aren't coming back until tomorrow.."

Well, guess that means it can only be one person.

"Zack, stay with her," I say, standing up and heading out of the room.

"Jay, wait, don't -," Mia protests, but I ignore her and keep walking.

See, the thing is, I don't want Hunter anywhere near her right now. I mean, for Christ's sake, he did this to her. What kind of friend would I be if I let him within ten feet of her?

Answer: he's not getting within ten feet of her. Simple.

Once I finally make my way back through the house and to the door, I'm definitely a lot angrier than I was when I left the room.

I open the front door, and there he is. Hair a mess, clothes in disarray, eyes bloodshot. He looks terrible, and for a good-looking guy like him, that's quite a feat. He's never looked worse.

But he does look surprised to see me.

"Jay?" Hunter says, eyes narrowed like he was expecting someone else. It takes him a second to regain his composure. "Um, hey man," he begins. "Is Mia here? I really need to talk to her."

"Look, she doesn't want to talk to you, and neither do I. So get lost," I say, crossing my arms over my chest and standing firmly in the doorway.

"Oh...," he says, hanging his head as he realizes that I know all about it. "Jay, you have to listen to me."

I scoff and shake my head. Poor bastard actually thinks we're still friends. "You know, I really don't want to hear it," I reply.

He gives me a hard look. "You know that I never meant to hurt her," he says lowly.

"You think I give a shit about what you meant to do?" I ask incredulously. I raise a hand and point to his car at the end of the driveway. "Get the hell out of here, before I make you."

"No," Hunter states. "I'm not leaving until you let me see her." That's when his gaze falls to my shirt, and his eyes grow wide.

I look down too, wondering what he could possibly be staring at, and then it hits me.

Mia's tears. They're all over my shirt.

If you didn't know any better, you'd think I just spilled a few drops of water on the fabric. No big deal.

But Hunter knows better.

I see the once stubborn emotion in his eyes be replaced with a look of concern.

"Oh God, are those her..," he begins, his voice trailing off.

I glance down at my shirt again, then back up at him angrily in answer to his question. Instantly, his features fill with guilt and regret.

"You have to let me see her," he says, and this time, he doesn't sound like he's going to take no for an answer.

"I'm only going to say this one more time," I say lowly, clenching my fists. "Leave."

"No," Hunter states. He takes a step forward, like he's thinking about trying to push his way past me.

So I punch him.

A straight shot to the face, causing him to stumble back a few steps before he regains his balance. Then he looks back up at me, wipes the blood from his lip, and just stands there, wordlessly telling me he's not going anywhere.

So I hit him again.

"You asshole!" I yell. "You knew what happened with Sean, and you did that to her anyway?? What the hell are you trying to do, scar her for life?"

I punch him again and again. It takes a couple of seconds before I notice that he's not fighting back, and honestly? That just pisses me off even more.

Next thing I know, someone's grabbing my arms and holding me back.

"Get off me!" I yell.

"Hunter, I'm pulling for you man, really," Zack says as I struggle in his grip. "But right now, I think you should just go."

Hunter leans against the doorway for support, and wipes his bloody nose on his sleeve. "Fine," he says. "Just, please tell her that I came, and that I'm sorry. And that if she ever decides to forgive me, I'll be there."

"Yeah definitely," Zack says. He makes sure to put himself between me and Hunter before finally releasing me. "Now go home. Take care of yourself, man. You look terrible."

Hunter nods, before turning around and heading back to his car.

One he pulls away, I stalk back inside, Zack following closely behind. He shuts the door, then turns on me. "What the hell was that?" he asks.

"He wouldn't leave," I say, turning away and heading back to Mia's room. I'm still beyond pissed, and now my knuckles are going to bruise. I'm going to have a hell of a time explaining that one to my mom later.

But even as I think about all this, one question still lingers in the back of my mind.

Why wouldn't he fight back?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A/N - Hey guys! Song on the side is "Critical" by the Jonas Brothers.

Hope you guys enjoy the chapter! Please comment and vote letting me know what you think! Happy reading!