Chapter 14 - Be My Escape

Start from the beginning

What does he want? Sympathy?

My face grows hot, and I look away, choosing instead to point my gaze at the floor. "You don't know what you're talking about."

Sean raises his hands in defense. "Maybe," he says. "Maybe I'm wrong. All I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up. A guy like that.. You're not his type."

Indignation flares in me, and my eyes snap up to meet his. "Not his type? You don't even know him. What are you saying? That I'm not good enough for him?"

"Your words. Not mine," he says. "Look I just don't want you to get hurt." He reaches for me, and I scoff, batting his hand away. I can't believe he actually just said that.

"Oh please. Like you care," I shoot back before turning and walking away.

I am absolutely furious.

How dare he. He thinks I'm not good enough for Hunter? What, just because he didn't want me that means other guys won't? Who the hell does he think he is? Just because we dated, it doesn't mean he knows anything about me.

Does it?

My pace slows as his words swirl around my head, and I can't help but wonder. With as much time as Sean and I spent together, does that mean he's the one who knows me best?

No. That can't be true. Because if it is, then that means everything he's ever said about me was right.

It means I really am annoying. It means I really do have talk too much. It means I really am hard to like. And worst of all, it means a guy like Hunter really is too good for me.

All these thoughts are running through my mind as I approach Hunter, who's leaning against his locker waiting for me to go to lunch.

I quickly decide not to tell him about the exchange between me and Sean. He seems to be in a good mood right now, and if I tell him, he'll explode, and I'll end up trying to calm him down for the entire lunch hour.

It wouldn't be the first time I've had to stop him from punching Sean in the face this week, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Long story short, it's probably in everyone's best interest if I keep this one to myself.

I put a smile on my face as I approach. "Hey," I say.

Hunter smiles back and pushes off the lockers. "Hey, you ready for lunch?"

"Yeah, definitely. I'm starving."

"Great," Hunter replies, "and maybe on the way there, you can tell me why you're stressed."

My eyes grow wide, and I glance up as we walk to see him looking down at me with a smirk.

There is no way. He has to be bluffing.

I try not to react as I reply. "I'm not stressed," I say with a laugh. "What are you talking about?"

He raises an eyebrow at me. "Come on, Mia. I'm not blind," he says. "Besides, you're playing with your necklace. You've been doing that lately whenever you're stressed or upset about something."

I look down, and sure enough, my hand is clasped tightly around my necklace charm. Damn, he's good.

"Okay, first of all, you," I say, pointing at him, "are not supposed to notice things like that yet. What are you, psychic or just a stalker?"

"Neither," he replies. "Just a genius," he grins.

I laugh and roll my eyes as we enter the cafeteria. "Yeah, right. Didn't you fail that pop quiz in English this morning?"

He narrows his eyes at me. "Don't change the subject," he says. "Look, Mia, I'm not going to drop this, so you might as well just tell me now."

We both get in line to grab our food, as I wrack my brain for a suitable excuse. "It's nothing, I'm just.. nervous about the track meet on Saturday, that's all," I reply, which isn't exactly a lie, because it's true.