I couldn't believe Derrek had actually come here. How long had he been there? Why was he even here? Didn't he have a wife waiting for him at home?

"Do you want me to send him away?" Benjamin asked when I said nothing and I shook my head.

"Just ignore him. He'll go away on his own." I said, walking back to my painting. I began to set up my paints, trying to ignore the fact that Derrek was right outside my house. Nothing good could have come out of answering him. Plus, he didn't deserve my time.

"Uh, alright." Benjamin said and I gave a hum in response. "Good night then." He said and a few seconds later, I heard my door close.

I set down the tube of black paint I had been holding and rubbed my palms over my face. I had tried to act unaffected by Derrek's presence when my brother was here but in truth, I had been feeling all sorts of emotions.

I was angry that he dared show he face here. I was curious as to why he was here. I was sad that things had turned out like this between us and I was frustrated at myself for even considering talking to him.

"No!" I yelled out. "He's not worth it." I tried to convince myself as I picked up the tube once again. I proceeded to pour out the paint but I wasn't in the right frame of mind to get any work done. I set down the paint and stormed over to my window, glancing out once again.

Derrek's car was still there and so was he. He was leaning on the side of the car, glancing up at the house. I quickly ducked, hoping he hadn't seen me but he probably had.

"Shit!" I mentally kicked myself for being so stupid. I crawled away from the window and headed towards my light switch, then, I turned off the light and went straight to my bed. I was just going to have to force myself to sleep once again.

The moment I closed my eyes, my phone buzzed and I groaned, pressing my eyes tightly together and turning away from my phone which I had placed at the right end of my bed. I tried not to think about what text message that could have been and if it had come from Derrek but my curiosity got the better of me. I should have blocked him.

I turned over and picked up my phone to see a message from Derrek.

Derrek: Please, come outside, Tiara. Please, let me explain.

I felt a knot in my throat as I read his message and I cleared my throat and set down my phone. I hated that a part of me had wanted to hear him out even though he had broken my heart more times than I could count. Well, that was what I got for having feelings for a married man.

I pulled my duvet over my head and tried to will myself to sleep but I could not. How could I with all the million thoughts running through my mind?

It wasn't long until I heard the sound of a soft tap on the roof and then another and another and soon, it had started to rain. I felt somewhat relieved, knowing Derrek had no choice but to leave now, so, I went on to force myself to sleep for the umpteenth time and I found myself counting sheep to the sound of the rain on my roof.

I had lost track of the time but I was sure a couple of minutes had passed and the rain had only gotten heavier. I decided to see if Derrek was really gone and I got off my bed, walking over to the window for the third time that night. I was surprised to see that Derrek's car was still parked there. He wasn't outside anymore though.

"Is he crazy? Why won't he leave?"

Scoffing, I went back to my bed and pulled my duvet over myself. The temperature had dropped drastically since the rain began and I couldn't imagine how cold it must have been out there. I considered going out to Derrek but I shook away the thought. Derrek wasn't a kid. If he chose to stubbornly sit out in the rain, that wasn't on my conscience.

I spent the next minute or two fighting with myself. I felt bad for letting him stay out in the rain but I also didn't want to care but he was going to catch a cold if he stayed out there.

"Dammit, Tiara!" I hissed as I found myself getting out of the bed. I was just going to let him in the house, just until the rain stopped and then, I was going to kick him out of my house and life for good.

Concluding that it was a good plan, I walked over to my wardrobe and pulled out a hoodie to throw on, then, I headed out to fetch the man I was supposed to hate at the moment.

I took in a deep breath as I walked out of my gate and stood for a moment, wondering whether I was making a mistake but before I could decide, Derrek got out of his car, standing in the rain as he stared at me.

I watched as the heavy rain began to soak his t-shirt and jeans and I wanted to run back inside and pretend like I was never there but I couldn't.

The rain poured down my body as well and I regretted not bringing an umbrella.

"You should come in until the rain stops!" I yelled over the loud sound of the rain as I walked over to him.

"I can't!" He answered, shaking his head. His eyes never left me, not for one second.

"You'll catch a cold! Come with me!" I waved him over and turned around to head back into the house but he stopped me.

"I deserve to catch a cold but I don't deserve your kindness." He said and I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to get my thoughts straight. I wasn't going to melt at Derrek's feet like I always had. I had to be wiser than that.

"Look," I started, turning around to face Derrek and I jumped in surprise on seeing him so close to me. I had almost bumped into him.

The rain pressure reduced in an instant and I could finally hear myself think. A moment later, it became more of a shower.

Derrek who was now drenched in rain water from head to toe closed his eyes and tilted his head backwards, taking in deep breaths as the rain showers poured over his face.

This was crazy. I was soaking wet and I was freezing but against my better judgement, I stayed out here with the crazy person who seemed to enjoy the thrashing cold.

"Do you remember what you told me that night?" He questioned as he opened his eyes and glanced at me.

"We can talk about this inside." I said, nodding towards my house. I really didn't want to have a conversation out in the rain.

"You said the world and its problems completely faded away when you're out in the rain. Is that true?"

"You remember that?" My eyes widened in surprise.

The night Derrek had taken me out on the yacht was one of the best memories I'd had with him. I thought Derrek and I really connected that night. I had told him my life's story and he had told me his. I had told him about my ridiculous fantasy of dancing in the rain and how I would sometimes stand outside in the rain when I felt like life got too complicated and I felt overwhelmed. When I was standing under the rain in the freezing cold, life and its problems seemed to fade away. It was refreshing. However, it sucked catching a cold afterwards, so, I hadn't done that as much as I would have liked to. If Derrek could remember that conversation, it could only mean that he had recovered his memories.

"I do." Derrek nodded. "I remember everything, Tiara."

"Derrek-"

"I wish all our problems could be washed away by the rain and then, we could have a clean slate to start over but such things don't happen in real life, do they?" He took a step closer to me.

Derrek reached up to cup my cheek but he stopped himself as his fingers almost brushed my skin and drew his hand back.

"I've been a fool, Tiara and I don't deserve your forgiveness, I know that." He confessed, staring at the ground. "All I hope for is that you let me tell you the truth. The real truth, not the fake one spreading like wild fire in the tabloids."

"What are you trying to say, Derrek?" I asked and he glanced up at me, staring into my eyes.

"Candice and I are not married. We never were and we never will be."