Chapter 36: The whole story (part 1)

Start from the beginning

Once you were sure they had left the castle you took your things and ran to the library. Thankfully you remembered Loki telling you that every book he owned had an exact copy inside the Asgardian library.

When you got in you started looking for the book, only barely remembering the title. It was something like 'Ancient Spells' or maybe 'Asgardian Spells' or something like that but it was too blurry into your head.

You felt an immediate feeling of relief when you got an old looking, leather covered book in your hands. The title was actually 'Ancient Asgardian Spells' so in one way your memory was still good.

After that it didn't take you long to find the page that had the spell on it. For a second you thought of ripping it but then couldn't get yourself to it. The book was so beautifully designed and excellently preserved that you couldn't even think of destroying it.

You finally put the whole book inside your bag and silently got out of the library and headed outside. After a few turns, left and right in the endless hallways of the castle you heard a sudden noise coming from somewhere close so you quickly cast an illusion upon you.

You continued walking slowly until you came face to face with two guards wandering around the castle. They were talking and laughing and thankfully hadn't seen you. When you passed them the way outside was an easy thing. It didn't take you longer than twenty minutes to get to your mothers house, where you finally let down the illusion (just to be sure).

You took a deep breath and sighed before finally stepping into the house and it was exactly how you had left it the day before; as if no one was living there, which of course was the case. You walked a little bit more around, like you were looking for something new that you hadn't seen the last time. You weren't quite sure if what you were looking for was a sign of life in the house or just some new detail in the decor that you hadn't noticed on your last visit.

After finally accepting that what you were looking for was not going to be found you got to the next floor and started preparing the space for the spell. You first put down twelve candles on the floor, shaping a circle with them and then made sure that no sun light was getting into the room. You kept reading the instructions on the book, worrying that you may do something wrong and mess everything up.

This was the first time you performed and actual spell. Of course you and Loki had practiced magic together multiple times but all those were simple spells and Loki was always there in case something went wrong. It was admittedly a little scary doing this by yourself but you also had no other choice; you needed to know the truth and you needed to do it fast.

Once everything was ready you only had to find something that was deeply linked to your mother. You looked into her closets and drawers for anything that you could find but nothing seemed of great importance; most of her clothes were quite old and she had no jewelry. When you started to loose hope you suddenly froze at the sight of a red, squared box sitting on the back of her last draw next to her bed.

You carefully took it out and held it in your hands while thousands of beautiful memories filled up your mind. When you opened the little box your eyes started filling up with tears when you saw what was still inside of it. You couldn't believe that she had kept it, after all those years; a small golden, heart shaped necklace that you had bought when you were ten, just a year before she left.

You remembered saving up your pocket money for a month to get her this gift. It was the month before mother's day and you had decided to give your mother the most beautiful gift of all time. Saving the money was pretty hard but once you saw her reaction when she saw your gift it was all worth it.

After a few more emotional seconds you wiped your tears and stood up so you could start the spell. You took a few deep breaths and sat in the middle of the circle on the floor, with your mother's necklace on your hands.

By now you had learnt the whole spell by hard but you still kept reading it, just to be sure. You started saying the words of the spell as loud and as clear as you could. You needed everything to be perfect and you made sure it would all go as planned.

Of course you couldn't predict everything that was going to happen during the spell. Once you started saying the words and the huge amount of energy started running inside your whole body, everything was different and nothing could be predicted anymore.

A light wind suddenly came out of nowhere and started messing around with your hair, even though there was not one window open in the house. After a few minutes, as you continued on with the spell, the wind became stronger and you felt as if the room around you had started to spin.

It didn't take long for a headache to hit you along with a very unpleasant feeling of tiredness. Though whatever was happening to your body your mind had to stay focused at all time. Doing even the simplest spell without focusing properly could be dangerous, nevertheless this one.

As you continued repeating the spell you felt like your soul was slowly leaving your body. Suddenly your heart was beating on a very slow and steady rhythm and the spinning was slowly going away.

"Y/n?" You suddenly heard your mother's voice and you quickly opened your eyes.

Then, right in front of you was your mother, looking at you with a worried face. She kept looking at you up and down, as if she didn't believe you really were there.

She, though, was different than before; she looked blurry and kinda pale. Also the whole place around looked like someone had turned the brightness to ten percent.

"Y/n how are you here?" She asked you again.

"I did a spell. I needed to see you." You immediately stood up and got closer to her.

Although when you turned back you saw yourself still sitting on the floor, in the middle of the circle you had made with the candles. Immediately your heart started beating like crazy, thinking that something had gone terribly wrong.

"What is that?" You asked as you leaned closer to your mother.

"No, don't worry you did good. This is how it was supposed to go." She tried to calm you down by placing her hand gently on your shoulder.

"I don't-" Your tired to speak but it just seemed impossible.

"Of course you don't understand y/n!" You mother raised her voice. "No young witch like you should be doing such a spell on her own."

"I know, Frigga and Loki said the same but-"

"Frigga? You talked to her?" She quickly cut you.

"Yes but she didn't know much. She told me the story about Freyja but I didn't make sense out of it. I still don't understand how it all connects to me. So, I needed to see you."

You looked at your mother with an anxious look on your face and she sighed. She gently put your cheek into her palm and looked into your eyes. She then turned her gaze outside of the window and moved to sit on her bed. You slowly followed her and sat next to her.

"All I know is a legend. Frigga said many believe it's not even true." You told her.

"It is very much true believe me. I was just a young girl when the whole thing happened, much like you." You mother started. "I was a witch in one of the last existing covens on Asgard. We all lived in the woods away from the world because this was how the ancestors wanted it to be."

"So Freyja came to you?" You sked her.

"No, we just heard about the incident but none of us felt the need to do anything about it. A few day later though, when things got quite, some of us went for a walk near the sea to find some certain herbs we needed. There, in a small cave we heard the voice of a woman. We immediately got inside and saw Freyja laying, wounded inside of it."

"Yes, Frigga told be about that. She told you to take her blood and give it to the first one of you to get pregnant. What I want to know mom is if that baby was me or not." You finally asked her anxiously.

"Yes, it is you." You mother sighed.

You suddenly felt like your whole world was being destroyed in just a few seconds. Until now you still had a small hope that it was all a big misunderstanding and that your life was simply not that awfully complicated. All you ever wanted was a simple life, but now you knew this was never going to happen.

"Y/n..." Your mother started.

"I'm okay. Just continue." You told her.