Chapter 24

I found the world buzzing by as I sat at the counter, a cup of hot chocolate in my hands, long gone cold.

Unsure of how much time had passed,  I watched the minute hand on the clock tick, oblivious to the numbers it pointed at.

Terence, Daphne, Blaise, and Pansy talked, their words, a muffled blur to my ears as I focused on the rhythmic "tick tick" ticking of the time, continuing to pass me.

Draco had been out of sight since early that morning, and my fingers had grown numb in the winter breeze as Terence and I made the long journey back from the courtyard and into the kitchen.

I directed my attention back to the group, blankly staring at them with no comprehension of what was being discussed.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Terence turn towards me, as if my thoughts were completely transparent.

"Syd? You alright there? You're lookin a little distracted." Daphne asked, tilting her head to the side.

"Tired. I don't think I got enough sleep last night. I think I'll take a short nap." I replied, standing from my chair.

I gave Blaise a small smile, waving as he gave me a knowingly nod. There really was no hiding anything from him. And aside from Terence, I'd known Blaise the longest.

I couldn't quite recall when we'd become friends, but it was in the short span of time I'd spent dawdling around the vast stretch of woods, just behind my house.

I could tell he had some decent idea of what was truly nagging me, and I appreciated him for not voicing it.

————————————————————————

Sleep eluded me as a watched the snow fall from the window of Daphnes room.

My mind overturned every topic I fed it, only settling when Draco came to thought. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't ignore how frantically in love with him I was. And how desperately I'd wished it wasn't true.

He deserved nothing from me. Not a single thing. Especially not my heart. Not when I'd defended it from so many others before, so many like him.

Yet, they proved nothing like him. Because he was the only one who so easily broke the walls I'd casted up the moment my father was no longer around.

If I'd had my way, Terence would be it for me. And I hated myself for the fact that I couldn't settle.

With a heavy sigh, I rubbed my hands down my face in attempt to console my wild thoughts that were growing out of hand by the minute.

I closed my eyes, resting my head against the frosted window, shuddering as the cold condensation spread over my skin.

Peaceful, though only for a moment before the memory of Draco's lips crossed my mind, so vivid that I could almost feel them against my own.

My eyes shot open, fingers moving to trace the same pattern his mouth had, from my cheek and down to my throat, spreading over my collar bone.

A haunting shiver ran up my spine, only reminding me of his radiant touch, and I cursed myself for being unable to put out the blaze of thoughts.

"Hey" Draco's voice slithered into the room, a tone mixed between cautious and cocky

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, holding it until my lungs started to burn. Never once could he find an actual convenient time to show up.

Though his voice sounded so tempting, finding it's way around my heart and I was turning around before I'd had the time to second guess myself.

Draco's silhouette was leaned up against the door frame, his hand tangled in his ghostly hair. And even in the dark, across the room from me, I could feel his touch.