Stephen grimaced while walking around the car slowly, observing the driver's seat keenly. "Ivan found a skeleton inside the place he had explored while you and others were fighting with the Alphas."

Did he?

I couldn't enter the old medic's house and sit with the pups when everything was a mess. Behind my back, after taking care of Keira, they all must have sat down to narrate the incidents to make conclusions.

Now, it seemed as if the only mess here was my mind. Everyone else were trying to move ahead and keep the enthusiasm alive. Ivan did something incredible.

While I couldn't get over the fact that the human pup chose to take care of her mate's pup. She must be kind. But what was wrong with Moon Goddess? The human pup must be suffering hard during the mark and afterwards. I knew that kind of pain.

"If it had been Severa, we would be running towards the Lycans announcing about the fall of the border." The words escaped my mouth in a scoff.

"They are of a male as old as mine, Ivan told me. He was someone important. There were talisman and threads holding teeth of bears around his neck," said Stephen and sniffed his fingertips. It was Pete's dried blood on the steering.

"He explored more with the mystic widows. There were some markings on the wall, counting the days and chants that mystic do for worshipping. The mystics concluded that it was one of them. Probably the woman who was the mother of the pup Misty had adopted," said Stephen, making my eyebrows narrow. "So, either this man found her here and she killed him. Or he was already dead there way before she inhabited that place."

"She had to hide to save her life," I said while observing him sniffing more into the middle seat, bending down to sniff near the floor. "Despite being an outsider, she couldn't cross the border. Because she had a Lycan pup inside her."

The old wolf hummed and gave me a sudden look of disbelief. "I can't believe none of you recognised her scent. She smells of heat all clear here."

My jaws clenched and fists tightened.

Stephen observed my silence. "Rain couldn't make you so vulnerable. Just confess that you were too busy observing her condition, pitying her and feeling desperate to save her."

I looked away, holding the top of the door of the Jeep, sighing heavily. "She was drenched. Her pupils were dilated but I couldn't ruin her hope. I wanted to try till the end of the territory. I would have stopped if the border had started to harm her. But her mate found her first."

Stephen stayed silent while I suddenly remembered.

"She screamed a lot," I said, remembering all the time when she looked at the back as if someone was whispering in her ear all of a sudden. She was paranoid. She seemed fearless in front of her mate and his brothers. What if her heart as clean as of Thomas, made her able to see the souls around too?

"Yet you didn't hug her." He said sadly, making me blink in sudden annoyance. "If I were you, I would have told her that she dared to visit a rumoured ghost's Temple up in the mountains and searched for her ashes right under the female Lycans' noses. That she was braver than all other females we have trained and dearer than the real daughters. I would have told her what she wanted to listen all this time, Gilbert."

The anger ripped through my chest and I growled lowly. "It wasn't the last time."

Stephen raised his eyebrows. "She is marked and almost deep in love with her mate. Of course, she would eventually mate and forget about ever getting out of that pack. She forgave Pete because she knew that blaming himself would hurt him all his life, he won't be able to move on and live proudly like an Alpha should. Of course, it was the last time, Gilbert."