Chapter 1

The rain fell hard to the ground the day I was born. Antiva, our planet, was blessed with another child. At least that's what they thought. I, Jane Shepard, was a mistake. My parents knew that the day I picked up that tablet. Antiva is not like Earth. On Earth, women can be who they wish to become. They can be a politician, doctor, or even a brilliant scientist. On Antiva, women are only housewives and mothers. Women are not allowed to have advance knowledge. They learn the basics in school. After that, they become housewives and mothers. Those who don't wish to be married are looked down upon and live on the streets. I would've been one of them. Then again, I probably would be in jail if I stayed there. You would think by 2100's women would be allowed to do what they want, regardless of which planet they are from. Between the strict rules and the aliens that live among us, I don't know which is worst. When humans discovered the relays, a transportation to other galaxies, they were not prepare for what was ahead of them. War broke out between humans and aliens. Eventually, humans and aliens offered peace with one another. Not all agreed with the amity. Like myself. I didn't wish to see humanity fall to these aliens. I guess that's why I was so focus on my research and studies.

When I was five years old, I became curious of the world around me. I picked up my older brother's tablet and started researching on what the world has to offer. That's when I learned of the Geth. Geth are non-organic life forms. They are made of metal materials and their heads are like flashlights. No one knew much about their ways of life and their technology was more intense. I became curious of the Geth. I cleared the screen and put the tablet back on my brother's bed. My brother, John, had it better than me. Everything I dreamed of, he could achieve. Meanwhile, I was punished for my love of knowledge. I will never forget the day my father caught me studying the Geth. He burned all my notes and whipped me with his belt. "Knowledge is forbidden for you!" He exclaimed. "You will learn your place!" I still feel the belt on my skin. Despite the pain, I continued my studies. By the time I was six, I discovered a way to implant Geth technology to the human body. Geth can analyze an individual by sight, revealing a person's strong points and weak points. I kept this research well hidden from my family so I could perform my experiments one day. They knew, though. I was glued to the computers and tablets. Everyday was the same. I get caught. I get whipped. John would even tell them when I'm researching. He said it was to protect me. I didn't need protection. I needed love.

The galaxy is filled with worlds to explore. I wanted to see what was out there. I had big dreams for a little Antiva girl. I dreamed of flying through the stars as a little girl. I dreamed of taking my studies to the sky. My family was right there to stop me. At ten years of age, another group of species caught my attention. The Collectors and Reapers were thought of as a myth. They are so rare that they are viewed as a tale. So being the curious girl I was, I began my research. I needed to know if the Collectors and Reapers were true. My knowledge was growing, and everyone could tell. My parents grew more impatient as I grew older. My back is scarred from my past life. I was use to the belt. I was use to Mother beating me with the broomstick. I was use to John telling my parents what I was doing. I was use to seeing the bad of humanity, but I knew there was good out there. I might've never experienced it, but I knew it was out there. I kept increasing my knowledge, so humanity could be at the top. I will not see aliens rule over us. If I have to go through agony to do so, then so be it. By the time I was sixteen, I was tired of the treatment. I was ready to leave home. John made it easier for me to pack up. I came across a Reaper artifact during my research. Reapers have a way to control the mind and body, so I knew not to study it right away. I had to find a way to prevent what is called, Reaper Indoctrination. My brother, much like my parents, was fed up with me. He grabbed the artifact from me and vowed to destroy it. When I went to take it back, he threw a right hook. The ring on his hand met my lip and ripped the skin off. Blood poured from my mouth. My face has a reminder of that day. "You will thank me for this." John declared.