Chapter 15

Lan Qiren had been pacing back and forth in his room ever since waking up. Not that he had even slept all that well, his dreams haunted by Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji making out, by him giving them a lecture and by his time with Jiang Fengmian and Wei Changze. He had though he had forgotten it many years ago but tonight, he had recalled each and every embarrassing detail, he could almost feel phantom hands touching him.

So he decided that he needed something else to do than to think about that, and that something being to make sure Wei Wuxian made it to his first day of classes on time. When he had shot up, completely awake that morning, he had been fully determined to go check on the married couple as soon as possible. He had even already walked out of his room. But then he stopped himself.

He should probably give them some time to wake up and prepare for the day before knocking on their door and inquiring if everything was alright. He still had a hard time believing that he had actually gone and walked the couple through their love making, coaching them on the most basic of things. He really did not want to go through that ever again. He was too old for that, what if his heart would give out next time?

Yes, it would be beneficial to his health to just forget anything like that ever happened. Surely Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian could handle the rest by themselves now that they knew how to proceed properly and his nephew had calmed down enough to actually pay attention to his partner. Perhaps even Wei Wuxian would realize that he could not just take everything like that and that he needed to speak up if he did not like something.

Lan Qiren knew he could complain loud enough when it came to the smallest things but it looked like when it mattered, the former Yiling Patriarch's mouth was sealed just as well as Lan Wangji's. Perhaps It had also been the cause of his doom over a decade ago.

Lan Qiren shook his head, he did not want to think about the past this early in the morning, not his own and not that of Wei Wuxian. After seeing him that vulnerable the day before, Lan Qiren knew that he could not think about him in the same way anymore.

He shook his head again, willing his thoughts to settle on rules reciting instead of anything else. When he went through all 4000 rules, he decided it was time to go check things out. It was after breakfast already and Wei Wuxian, if he was better off than the previous days, was supposed to be getting ready to teach classes. Perhaps Lan Qiren should use the excuse of reminding him about his duties to go check on him.

He walked slowly towards the Jingshi, giving the couple some more time to prepare themselves, he really did not want to walk into any other revealing activity. From already far away, he noticed Wei Wuxian's laugh and for once, it did not infuriate him that the notorious troublemaker was breaking the rules. If anything, he was relieved to hear that he was well enough to laugh. And also walk around as it would seem.

Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian came out of the Jingshi just as Lan Qiren climbed the first step. They were holding hands, Lan Wangji apparently providing support, but very subtly, as if it was not really needed and he just wanted to make sure that he would not overlook anything. It warmed Lan Qiren's heart. His lecture yesterday must have been well received at least.

Wei Wuxian apparently did not notice him yet because he stood on his toes and kissed his husband right in front of Lan Qiren's disbelieving eyes.

It should have angered the elder, it would have just yesterday. But right now, Lan Qiren was just glad to see a small smile bloom on his nephew's lips. He had not seen Lan Wangji smile ever since being a small child, when his mother had still been around, and his heart completely melted. It seemed like Wei Wuxian was not so bad after all. Not when he was making Lan Wangji this happy.

The kiss lasted for a long moment and was now becoming more and more indecent with Lan Wangji pulling Wei Wuxian closer and tangling his free hand in his hair. Lan Qiren did his best to remember his previous feeling of being grateful to Wei Wuxian so he would not start yelling at him for corrupting his nephew again. Clearly he would have been in the wrong, it was actually the other way around.

He cleared his throat and made his presence known. This made the couple finally notice him and they sprang from each other as if hit by a lightning. It was good to see that Wei Wuxian could properly stand on his own and did not need an escort after all. They both quickly bowed to the elder, greeting him.

Lan Qiren nodded to return their politeness while he was checking for any signs of pain of discomfort in Wei Wuxian's posture. He found none. That was good, very good, Wei Wuxian was finally in a condition to start his duties. Before Lan Qiren could invite him to walk with him to the classroom, Lan Wangji bowed to him again.

"Thank you for your guidance, Uncle. It was very helpful."

Only the long years of training helped Lan Qiren to retain a neutral expression. He had decided he did not want to remember evenr doing such a thing but here was his nephew reminding him as soon as he opened his mouth.

Even Wei Wuxian joined in: "Yes, thank you very much, Master Lan Qiren." While his first sentence had been said in a tone full of gratitude and with a small bow, he continued while a teasing and mischievous smile bloomed on his lips: "It was very enlightening, I feel great today. But I would have never guessed that you would have any experience in this matter. Who would have known that the ever so proper members of the Gusu Lan clan could be such experts. Do tell me, had you ever had any personal experience?"

Lan Qiren was completely speechless. He wanted to punish Wei Wuxian, he wanted to tell him to be quiet and never speak a word about this again, he wanted him to forget that anything like last evening had ever happened. He could do nothing but to stare at the little devil, his mouth opening and closing in an attempt to let his voice out.

Wei Wuxian smiled eve larger now and came closer to him, leaning in and whispering to him conspiratorially, as if they were best friends or at least accomplices.

"Master Lan Qiren, do you think you could get us some more of that oil you have brought yesterday? Lan Zhan was very thorough this morning and we have already run out."

That was it! Everything good that Lan Qiren had ever thought of Wei Wuxian had flown out of the window. This really was too much, who was Wei Wuxian taking him for? Once a shameless troublemaker, always a shameless troublemaker.

"Go get it yourself! I am sure that you will have no problem convincing the infirmary staff to give you as much as you want! Just make sure to attend to your duties properly." Lan Qiren scoffed into his face just as he was turning on his heel and marching away perhaps a little faster than it would be strictly necessary.

Thank you for all your support! I am happy you have stayed with me until here even though the story was kind of an awkward one; I was actually blushing really hard while writing it. The idea just came to me one evening and believe it or not, I have written the whole thing over one weekend. Guess it just stuck with me. Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed it and I would be glad to hear your thoughts on the story as a whole :)