Chapter 1

Wei Wuxian was sitting on a soft cushion, actually a few of them, and his backside was killing him. He and his husband – because now he was allowed to call Lan Zhan his husband when their feelings were made mutual at the Guanyin temple – had come back to the Cloud Recesses a week ago and since then their routine was repeating itself. Do not get Wei Wuxian wrong, he liked this very much, he was not complaining, but sometimes, it was a little too much for his weak body to bear.

Since coming back and greeting a very grumpy and disapproving Lan Qiren, Lan Zhan immediately whisked him into the Jingshi and they made good on their promise of 'every day'. The first time was the worst. Both he and Lan Zhan had no idea how to do this, only following what Wei Wuxian had once learned as a teenager, over twenty years ago, from Nie Huisang's port books. Since then, he had somewhat gotten used to the pain and all that making love apparently entitled.

No, he was not complaining, he could take a little pain if it was making Lan Zhan happy. Although he had not confessed to his lack of experience, he only ever had that one kiss during the crowd hunt so many years ago. It was clear that his husband enjoyed their time together. He had never seen Lan Zhan that enthusiastic for anything, and he would not take his fun away from him, not when he seemed to be enjoying himself so much. Once his husband took off his forehead ribbon, it was as if he became someone completely different, unrestrained and passionate, not at all the perfect example of a Gusu Lan sect disciple.

And it was not like Wei Wuxian had not enjoyed himself all the same. After overcoming the initial pain, he could feel the pleasure as well and he moaned even lauder than his love partner. Plus, the aftercare his husband was giving him was the best.

Every time they would finish, way after the normal Gusu Lan sect curfew, Lan Zhan would take time to thoroughly clean him and to massage his sore muscles. He would then wrap him up in soft blankets and hum their special song to him until he would fall asleep. The mornings were also full of care; Lan Zhan would usually let him sleep in, help him take a bath and then he would put his robes on for him because he would still not be able to move properly. He would carry him to the table where a flavourful breakfast he had cooked for him would already be set out and sit him on several soft cushions.

Just like today. It mattered little to him that he could hardly keep himself upright and steady enough on his feet to be able to walk an hour after waking up. He was used to pain so it was nothing new to him. Still, deep down, he wondered if it was like this for everyone and how long his now frail body would be able to last. Not that he would ever say any of this to his caring husband.

He had just finished his breakfast today and Lan Zhan had left to take care of his duties when there was knocking on the door. Not sure he would be able to walk all the way there, he just called out: "Please enter!"

Not even a second later, a stern and somewhat annoyed looking Lan Qiren walked inside. Wei Wuxian quickly realized his mistake, he should not have been so casual, he knew Lan Zhan's uncle was letting him stay in the Cloud Recesses not too willingly. His husband had even threatened to leave the sect altogether if Lan Qiren would not approve of him taking Wei Wuxian as his husband. It had worked, but only on the expense of Lan Qiren's ever growing displeasure at having even the name of Wei Wuxian said in front of him. So what was he doing in the Jingshi this soon, or at least for Wei Wuxian, in the morning?

Wei Wuxian did his best to stand up as smoothly and swiftly as he could, keeping his teeth gritted so he would not let out any sounds. Once he was standing, he bowed to Lan Qiren politely. It would have been a perfect bow if he did not flinch in the middle of lowering his back because the movement tugged at his tender muscles. He hoped that Lan Qiren did not notice anything lest he would be scolded for not being polite enough. They still were on no good terms.

He straightened his back, more successful at being careful this time, and looked at the elder. Lan Qiren's expression did not change so he had probably not seen anything. Wei Wuxian gave out a silent sigh of relief, he did not want to cause even more tension between Lan Zhan and his uncle. It was enough that his husband had to help with the sect leader duties because Lan Xichen was still in seclusion, he did not need anything more to worry about.

Wei Wuxian did his best to smile and offered his visitor a seat: "Master Lan Qiren, please sit down, I will have tea prepared in a minute."

He was half hoping that Lan Qiren would refuse his invitation and tell him that he had come looking for his husband. He really did not want to move around just yet, he could feel his knees shaking under him already and he had only been standing for a minute or so. He was not sure he would be able to start walking around the Jingshi, gathering everything to prepare fresh tea.

However, he did not have such luck as Lan Qiren only nodded and sat down, showing him that he was accepting the offer. Wei Wuxian knew this should have been a priceless opportunity to try and become closer with Lan Zhan's uncle, if he would not anger or irritate him that was. But he could not think of it as such right now. Not when he did not want to show him how weak he was and how much it affected him to spend only a single night with his husband.

Still, he smiled even more brightly and steeled himself. Carefully and oh so slowly, he went around the Jingshi, preparing hot water, tea leaves and tea cups. Hopefully, Lan Qiren would not think that anything was wrong with him, at least he did not look too concerned or suspicious when Wei Wuxian was glancing at him from time to time.

Then he set everything on the table and lowered himself down on his nest of soft cushions. It took all his self-control to not wince at the pain which shot up through his lower back. Finally, everything was prepared and he could not stall anymore.

"Master Lan Qiren, why did you come to see me?" he asked, his voice perfectly polite and only slightly curious.