EPILOGUE 2 (TERRA POV)

"Mate? What are you talking about? That's ridiculous..."

"Terra, please, keep the vampire charm on, people are staring at you. Pull yourself together!"

"I'm sorry, father."

I lower my head, embarrassed, I don't usually fight with Marcus or raise my voice at him, I respect him and I'm really grateful for all the things he's done for me. This is Ruby's fault, my entire world is upside down since the day I bumped into her... Damn it. I fidget awkwardly despite Aren has managed to clear a wide area for us controlling people's minds, pushing humans away, but the square is crowded with Venetians wearing their most beautiful clothes waiting for the Dux's entourage to leave with him on his golden ship so we can all go to our homes to have dinner and celebrate it. It's been a very hot April day and the stones of the pavement still keep some of that heat, I'm not feeling comfortable standing here wearing a silver brocade tunic and my linen shirt is drenched in sweat... or maybe I'm anxious.

"Why didn't you tell us about this before?" Aren asks confused taking advantage of the fact that he's taller than us to take a look over the citizens' heads and watch what's going on in front of the St. Mark's Basilica, the parade should be ending soon and it'll be time for me to take action. The red and golden flags with the lion that's the symbol of the city are fluttering with the fresh sea breeze when Marcus shakes his head slowly.

"I didn't want you to get obsessed with it, it's not that easy to find your vampire mate and most of us never meet them... I've seen others becoming desperate for centuries and ended up killing themselves because their perfect lover never came to their lives. I don't even know if that's what's happening with Terra, Ruby could be a pretty human who smells heavenly, but we have to check it because if she's your real mate... Well, things could get ugly for you if something bad happens to her and she dies. Vampires can't survive for long time without their mates." My heart skips a beat picturing Ruby seriously hurt if I can't help her.

"How do I know?" I ask out of breath seeing part of the crowd moving finally.

"I'm not sure how it works but everybody seems to agree on the fact that you'll know for sure if she's your mate."

"Okay..." I answer nervously because I've recognized one of her servants and he's walking towards us. I may have been behaving as a creepy stalker these past days monitoring her house, her staff and their comings and goings to know more about her. Ruby Rose seems to have a good relationship with her family and visits her father's palazzo frequently despite she still lives in her late husband's one. Besides, Chiara was her nanny when she was a child and she's taking care of her daughter now helped by the baby's grandmother. My father is right, she won't be able to stand the pressure anymore and they'll persuade her to get married again; some business partners of Contarini are already sending her flowers, little jewels and sweets... I know it because I read the messengers' minds. Bastards...

People of Venice whisper in admiration around me and a lot of them move a step back reverently while looking at the beautiful woman mesmerized, her servants hardly have to do anything to clear the way because her beauty is the only things she needs, and I'm not surprised about it...Ruby wears a blue tunic embroidered with gold thread fit for a queen, her braided hair is up thanks to some gold and pearl combs and she seems to float gracefully instead of walking. She looks straight ahead with an impassive face, at the pier where her gondola is waiting, but there's a hint of a smile on her lips like se finds funny the admiration of her fellow citizens. Servant are pushing some people away but they don't touch us, probably because Marcus is controlling their minds; no human will tell the old Roman soldier where he can stand.

"Let's go," my father pats my shoulder discreetly and I move a step forward at the right moment, blocking the beauty's way.

"You won't be able to steal my bag, little rascal," I hear her growling angrily. Her sweet and fruity perfume feels like a blow in my head again, melting my brain and making my mouth water, I can't think straight but my arms dart forward to hold her when she tries to step back and trips over her own tunic. I dig my fingertips into her waist and she leans her hand on my forearm while she holds back her breath, Ruby looks up and fixes her amazing eyes on mines, opening them wide in shock. I can't breathe... but I don't care. Nothing else matters, only my princess and the heat running through my veins, my heart races and I feel my skin tingling in an odd way. Minutes tick by and I don't care, some people stare at us perplexed and I don't care, her servants get closer wondering what's happening and I don't care... I'm too busy looking at my mate's precious face. I can't help smiling and Ruby blinks, coming back to reality like she's woken up from a deep sleep.