TWENTY-THREE

"You aren't leaving this room dressed like that, are you?" I asked worried pointing at Terra's chest, her white shirt was unbuttoned as usual and a big area of soft skin was visible. The vampire rolled her eyes hard while leaning her cigarette on the ashtray and dropped the book she was reading, she started buttoning the garment up slowly, annoyance flashing across her face before taking the bowtie that was hanging from the back of the leather couch and putting it around her neck.

"Is it better this way?"

"Well, yes, thank you..." I answered bitterly before lowering my head, regretting it immediately. "I'm sorry, I'm a bit nervous..."

"I've noticed it, you know I can help you with that if you let me..." I shook my head and my girl clenched her jaw, upset. "I don't understand why you hate when I hold your mind, why you're so determined to feel sick when it'd be easier for you and for all of us if you let me help you with that."

"I want to keep my human feelings for as long as I can before they vanish..." I whispered staring at the colourful carpet of Terra's library while she opened her mouth wide in surprise. The vampire leaned forward, leaning her elbows on her knees and rubbing her face with her fingertips before looking at me and sighing.

"It doesn't work like that, babe, your personality won't change and you'll keep feeling the same..."

"But I'll be powerful and won't feel insecure anymore, anxious or scared. I'll know what other people think all the time so I won't feel surprise anymore, that incredible feeling of anticipation, butterflies fluttering in my stomach while opening a gift box..." Terra got up abruptly, running her fingers through her dark locks ruining her hairdo while walking some steps towards the bay window of the room. My stomach turned and I felt like throwing up on the skirt of the gorgeous turquoise dress I was wearing, the vampire stopped, turning around abruptly before hugging me tight against her body while Ruby came running from her living room and looked at us scared. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay, amor, it's my fault..."

"No, no..." I shook my head leaning my hand on the soft shirt, the fabric was so delicate that I could feel the heat of her skin under it, soothing me.

"Yes, it is, I feel guilty because I believe I'm pushing you to become a vampire before you're ready to do it, I feel very selfish and those feelings travel through our bond making you feel sick. I'm sorry, babe." Her lips grazed my forehead and my muscles got even more relaxed.

"I want to be a vampire, I promise..."

"I know..."

"But I'm a stupid and weak human and can't help feeling scared..." I cut her off abruptly and Terra smiled against my hair.

"You aren't stupid, in fact, you're very intelligent. Most humans would like to seize this opportunity without thinking twice, immortality and supernatural powers sound like a good deal, that was what I did after all... But you have doubts and weigh all the pros and cons in your mind, you're smart and cautious and I admire you and respect you for that, Iselen. We'll solve this, amor, our bond will find a balance."

"You can hold my mind tonight but just a little, enough for me not to feel sick, okay? But I don't want to greet guests looking like a hypnotized idiot so, please, don't go too far. And don't forget about the veil to hide my thoughts just in case."

"Of course, everything will be all right... You look beautiful."

"Do you think so? Wait till you turn around and see that stunning Roman goddess because you're going to have a heart attack," I whispered pointing at Ruby who was still standing near the door, staring at us but not daring to interfere. Terra turned around and opened her eyes wide in surprise while the pretty green-eyed vampire blushed slightly.