TWENTY-NINE

"He's gone!"

Antonella walked in our bedroom carrying the heavy breakfast tray, she usually asked for one of my girls' help but she brought the tray alone that morning and left it on the table before turning around and looking at us excitedly. Terra was lying on the bed reading, she was feeling well again after spending an entire day resting, and Ruby was standing in front of the wardrobe helping me to pick out a T-shirt from the dozen she'd bought for me online. The three of us stared at the housekeeper confused while she was busy pouring cups of tea and coffee.

"What are you talking about?" Terra got up slowly attracted by the smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls and winked at me mischievously before biting one. I couldn't help blushing and hid my red cheeks behind my tea mug.

"About John. He left early in the morning, he told Marcus he had a business meeting in Rome and will come back in two days."

"Let's hope we'll never see him again..." Ruby growled chewing some bacon.

"I'm so happy he's left that two days of freedom feel like heaven to me..." I answered relieved.

The truth is that I'd managed to avoid John while taking care of Terra, Ruby felt fine after sleeping one night and eating a good dinner but my Spanish vampire needed one more day and, even if she was sore, she got really bored lying there and doing nothing... This was really weird because she was able to read for hours alone in her library, quietly, but when she was forced to remain idle against her will, she became grumpy and wanted attention. We watched TV, had lunch together, I read a magazine out loud for her, the other vampires and Vera came to visit... all of them except John.

I could talk to Dario and Aren about my suspicions while Ruby kept Marcus busy, I explained them I believed that idiot had lured werewolves to my father-in-law's property somehow with the aim of causing trouble, but they shook their heads in disbelief. Dario admitted that John despised us but a big pack of wolves could be dangerous and no vampire would give them the location of a comrade's den voluntarily. Aren agreed with Ruby: it was unlikely but the guy was crazy enough to try it... I was sure something smelled fishy, we'd never told those mutts where we were from, they couldn't know if we were heading back to Rome, to Spain or to USA after visiting Sicily and yet, there they were, in the forest that surrounded Marcus' house. Dario frowned when listening to my theory and admitted reluctantly that it was weird, a very happy coincidence for them since millions of people lived in the south of Italy but they were able to find the vampires very quickly.

"Maybe they can smell you..." I shrugged and Aren smiled amused.

"You're right, Iselen, their chances to find us were low... someone has guided them and we all know who he was... But I don't know how we're going to explain this to my father." The Viking stared at me while Dario grimaced.

"What are we going to do today?" Terra asked snapping me back to reality and my breakfast. "Do you want to go out for a walk?" I looked back at my pretty vampire, hesitating for a few seconds, till an idea made its way through my mind and I got up abruptly.

"I'll be right back..."

"What? Iselen, babe, where are you going?" Ruby followed me confused while I ran across the house till reaching the bedroom my friend shared with Aren, in fact, the Viking was talking to Marcus in the middle of the corridor right then.

"Ships! You have ships, don't you?" I asked out of breath and the blond guy stared at me puzzled but nodded. "Do you have one here? Or we could rent one... I'd like to spend the evening sailing, fishing, swimming... Antonella can make food and put it in picnic baskets or something like that... I don't know if you think this is a good idea..." I whispered the last words while the vampires kept looking at me confused.