Chapter 12 - On Wednesdays We Wear Pink

Start from the beginning

Ever since that day we almost kissed, I've been scared that I won't be able to stop myself from developing feelings for him. I'm terrified, actually. And yet, there's a part of me that wants to know what that moment was. I want to know what it meant to him, and I want to know what it means to me.

However, there's just one problem. Neither of us have even mentioned our almost-kiss since it happened.

Seriously. Not a single word about it.

After a week of overthinking about what it could've possibly meant, I was pretty much ready to explode, so I finally decided to tell Rose. We're in the girls' bathroom at school, and I just finished recounting the story to her.

She stares at me, mouth hanging open in shock. "NO WAY! YOU ALMOST KISSED?!" she yells.

"Shhh!! Why don't you say it a little louder? I don't think they heard you in China!" I hiss at her.

"Oh, sorry," she apologizes, lowering her voice to a more reasonable volume. "But seriously, you almost kissed Hunter?" I nod. "Well, what happened next? Did he say he likes you?"

"He, uh, he didn't say anything next, and neither did I. We haven't really talked about it since," I admit sheepishly.

"What?" she asks, her face deadpan. "Wait a minute, how long ago did this happen?"

"About a week..."

"And you haven't asked him about it?"

"Nope."

"Not even once?"

"Nuh-uh.."

"DUDE!" she exclaims loudly.

I glance around the bathroom to see if anyone's looking at us. "What?" I reply, annoyed at her rise in volume.

"What is wrong with you?" she pleads. "A gorgeous, sweet boy almost kisses you, and you just let the moment pass without saying anything about it?? You missed your window of opportunity!" she finishes, with a slap on my arm.

"Ow! I didn't miss anything, okay?" I reply. "You know I'm not ready for another relationship. Besides, he doesn't like me like that anyway. I probably just misinterpreted it or something," I reply, rubbing my arm. Rose is small, but she can really pack a punch when she wants to.

"I don't know anything," she responds, crossing her arms over her chest. I smirk at her with a raised eyebrow, and she narrows her eyes at me. "You know what I mean. Besides, it's been a long time since you and Sean actually broke up Mia. You're ready. And Hunter follows you around everywhere like a lovesick puppy. Trust me, he likes you," she finishes, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me. "Oh! And I have just the way to prove it," she says, her eyes lighting up.

"Oh great, another one of your genius plans," I say rolling my eyes.

"Okay, first of all, my plans are genius," she says. "And trust me, this one's going to work," she finishes with a smile.

*******************

"A party? You're throwing a party?" Zack asks Rose across the lunch table.

"Yep," she replies. "Come on, tomorrow is one of our last free Saturdays before track meets start up, so I say we bid our freedom farewell with a bang," Rose explains excitedly.

"Sounds good to me, I'll spread the word," Dejay says with a smile. He gets up and starts walking to different cafeteria tables, letting everyone know about the party. Like I said, he's a pretty boy who can melt your heart with a smile. If he's the one inviting everybody, this party is going to be packed.

"So is everybody in? Because I'm going to need some help getting everything together by tomorrow night," she continues.

"Sure, I'm in," Alex replies.

"Aww, thanks babe, but you didn't have a choice," she says patting his cheek. I stifle a laugh, while I'm pretty sure I hear someone else mutter "whipped." "Any one else?" she asks.

Everyone agrees to help out, and Rose starts giving out jobs to everyone, but I notice that she doesn't give me one.

I lean towards her. "So this is your plan? How is a party going to prove anything?" I ask while everyone talks amongst themselves. "And is there anything I can do to help?

"No, there's not, because, you, my friend, will be too busy tonight and tomorrow to help with the party," she says.

"Busy with what?" I ask.

"Busy with me," she says with a grin.

*******************

Today's practice was absolutely insane. I'm pretty sure if you added up all the drills we ran, you'd get at least twenty miles.

Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but either way, I'm extremely tired, and I really want to just head home.

If I move fast enough, hopefully I can avoid Rose and whatever it is she's got planned for tonight.

Hunter and I have just made it off the school grounds when suddenly, a car screeches to a halt at the curb near us.

I look up to see the window rolling down and Rose in the driver's seat.

"Get in loser, we're going shopping!" she yells with a huge smile on her face.

My face falls. "Rose, seriously?"

"I've always wanted to say that!" she laughs. She gets out of the car, walks over to us, grabs my arm, and starts pulling me back towards the car.

Rose then turns her attention to Hunter. "Sorry, lover boy, but I need to borrow her for tonight," she says. "Don't worry though, you'll thank me tomorrow at the party!" she finishes with a wink.

I wave at Hunter, who looks thoroughly confused, by the way, as I climb into Rose's car. Once my seatbelt is on, she drives off.

"Rose! I can not believe you just said that to him," I say, looking back as Hunter grows smaller and smaller in the rear-view mirror. "Oh my God, he's never going to talk to me again," I complain, covering my face with my hands. I'm sure I'm overreacting, but at the moment, I don't really care.

"Calm down, he knows it was a joke," she says with a wave of her hand. "Besides, we really are going shopping. We need to find you something to wear for the party tomorrow."

"I don't have money for new clothes right now, besides I have perfectly good things to wear at home."

"Don't worry, I'm buying," she offers. "Besides, I never got you a birthday present anyway so... happy birthday," she finishes with a smile.

Knowing that I've run out of protests, I lean back in my chair and let out a sigh.

Alright then, I guess I'm going shopping.

Lovely. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A/N - Okay, sorry for the filler chapter and the complete lack of Hunter, but I swear there will be lots and lots next chapter.

Please vote, comment, or message me to let me know what you think of the book!