Chapter 28

My slumber is disturbed when I hear the door open but being paranoid I pretend to stay asleep. I'm not sure who opened the door but they walk around me and kneel down. I can feel their warm breath on my face, "If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it's yours," I hear, noticing Ashton's voice. His thumb softly brushes my cheek making me feel calm for the first time in weeks.

He sighs as if relieved, "Rose, wake up sweetheart," He whispers shaking my shoulder lightly, "C'mon princess, we need to get you inside."

I open my eyes trying to act like I had been asleep the whole time, "Ashton?"

"Yeah. C'mere," he says holding his arms out. I oblige climbing into his arms bridal style and hug him close to me. He carries me inside softly kissing my face repeatedly, "I'm so happy you came back, baby girl."

I snuggle into his neck to show that the feeling is mutual. Then he lays me in bed climbing in with me even though I know he has work.

"I don't understand. You kicked me out."

Ashton kisses me lightly with his hand cupping my cheek, "I've only loved once and it didn't work out very well. I was so scared to fall for someone again but I can't help it. I love you, Rose."

After a couple hours of just hugging each other he sits up. He runs his fingers through his hair, "What's wrong?" I ask cautiously sitting up with him.

He stands up taking my hands in his to rise with him. He stares deeply into my eyes, "I do love you. So fucking much. But why did you have to come back?" He asks with tears in his eyes, "Rose, you deserve so much more than this. My temper, what those men did to you, being unsafe... You deserve such a perfect life! And I... I can't give that to you."

He's crying lightly making my heart wrench. I feel myself crying as well which I can see only makes Ashton feel worse, "Ashton, I know that this life is hard. I've been through the worst," I pause. Ashton looks down in defeat, "Which means it can only get better. I love you and I've never been more sure of something in my life. This life is hard but I get to be with you and that makes it all worth it."

He slowly pulls me into his chest. I can hear his heart beat quicken, "Hear that? That's what you do to me," Ashton confesses sincerely, "I promise I'm going to do everything in my power to ensure your safety and happiness baby girl."

His hands draw lines up and down my back. For the first time he doesn't look like an intimidating, rich mafia King. He looks like my Ashton. The one I see occasionally when he shows him unintentionally. His soft eyes and bright smile fill me up with joy. I truly love this man and I only have to look at him to know why.

"I love you Ashton."

"I love you Rose. More," he smirks.

"Whatever!" I smile bringing his lips to mine.