"Really, you didn't miss much. I started looking for you as soon as I got back-"

"Wait," I butt in, "how did you get back? Andor destroyed our transport stones..? Last I knew you were still stuck on Earth."

"Right. Like I told you, there are elves who live on Earth. I found one who gave me a transport stone. It only took a few hours to find him. Felt like forever though." I notice Knox fiddling with the hem of his tunic as he talks. "Anyway, when I got back I told my mom and went with some guards to look for you. We knew where the Cin's city was, but my mother didn't want me going in-it was 'too dangerous.' Apparently, the guards didn't find anything." He pauses and shakes his head, his face annoyed. "I guess they didn't look hard enough. They spent the rest of the week looking for you, and mother forced me to stay put and train new soldiers for the war and work on war techniques myself." He pauses, shaking his head, eyes far away. 

"Not going out to look for you is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. But then you just... Showed up."

I laugh quietly and shrug. "Yep, well. I'm glad I showed up. So, about me."

"Only tell me what you want," Knox quickly adds before I can continue. I nod, giving him a grateful glance. I feel like I give him those a lot now.

So I go on to tell Knox everything, going through the days quickly so as not to linger on the details. I recall my encounter with Vyn, and pause after. Of course, I waited to tell him about his dad. Back to good old me, procrastinating because I don't know how to deal with it.

"Um," I start once the rest of the story is finished. "I... This is going to sound crazy, I know. But I left something out. I'm sorry I didn't say anything before, I didn't know how-"

"I'm sure whatever it is, I can handle," Knox says, stopping my rant. "Just say it, flat out."

I shoot him a 'don't say I didn't warn you' look, before doing as he suggested and spitting it out.

"Your dad is alive, and he helped me escape. He's been in a prison in the Cin's citadel this whole time."

Knox's mouth parts, but that's the only change in his face. Then his eyebrows scrunch, then he blinks- like his face is coming back to life.

"No," he breathes, shaking his head. "He's dead, it's been over 10 years! How can he be alive? We all thought he was dead." Knox laughs, which I feel should concern me. I place a firm hand on his shoulder. His amber eyes lift to mine- they're glassy with tears, and his face is the picture of shock and disbelief.

"He's alive. I promise. He told me to leave him, that he had a few things to do, but I gave him a key to get out. I'm sorry I didn't bring him." My voice cracks and I have to clear my throat. I never thought I would feel this bad for leaving Knox's dad behind. Seeing the look on his face upon finding out his dad is alive, then having to tell him I'm the one who left him there...

"How do you know it was him? There are a lot of blond elves."

I smile, thinking of his face. "Knox, you look just like him. Trust me, it was him."

For a few minutes, the only noise is the fireplace near us and the quiet chatter of the people sitting around the cafe and eating at their tables. Knox is looking down at the tables, so I can't see his face fully. I know that a million thoughts are racing full speed through him though. I know he's overwhelmed.

"You figured out he was my dad and still didn't bring him back with you?" His tone makes me question my decision to leave Rothilion. He's mad. I can tell. He has a right to be, though, and I know he has a lot of emotions going through him right now.

"I'm sorry," I repeat, guilt swelling up inside me. "I wanted to, but he told me to leave him-" I try to touch his hand, but he pulls it away, freezing for a second, as though he's surprised at himself for pulling away. Eventually he just brings his hand up to his head like he has a headache.

"I wanted to, Knox. But he told me-"

"You shouldn't have listened! You should've-" He drops the volume of his voice, closing his eyes for a brief moment, his face stormy with sadness and indignation. And fatigue.
"I- sorry. I need a minute."

With that he stands up and walks briskly out into the morning air, not looking back. I watch him walk a few steps before disappearing in a swirl of hazy mist.

I can't do anything to help Knox right now, so I stay where I am, biting the inside of my lip to keep my focus elsewhere. I can feel the shame inside me, even though I listened to what Knox's father told me to do. I've never made Knox mad like this before. So, of course, I feel bad. I actually kind of feel like crying, but I can recognize that I'm the kind of person who overthinks everything. His anger wasn't all my fault. Just the fact that his dad is alive shocked him I'm sure. I know it did when I found out the fate of mine.

I need to give him space.

Ignoring the elves looking at me I leave the library, I head down a smaller path to my right. I'm not dumb enough to go off by myself into a secluded area anymore, even though I really want to just wander. I want to go somewhere.

I have an idea.

—————————————————————————

Oooops, little argument- I figured I should add a little bump in the road since no relationship is perfect.