Chapter 14: The second meeting ✔

(Photo of what I think Alistar would look like)

As Alistar and Gregory entered the diner, they looked as if they had just stepped out of the fashion pages of a sports magazine and it felt that everyone was staring at them except one, the girl they had come to see. It took them two days to find her after running away from Michael. Those two days were hell for Alistar and it seemed like everyone in the group could breathe a bit easier once she resurfaced. Still not sure if Emily was the target or just an innocent bystander, Alistar and Gregory had decided to keep 24-hour tabs on her but to stay out of sight.

That was until that morning when a package arrived at their rental home. A package addressed to Alistar contained a phone with nothing on it except a video. Taking the phone, Alistar thought that if a 600-year-old vampire's hands could shake, they would probably be shaking at that moment. Gregory, who was still awake from his shift guarding Emily when the package came, went to stand behind Alistar, who was sitting at his desk staring at the phone. "Just play the damn video. We need answers," Gregory said impatiently.

The video started with a man that stood with his face away from the camera. His profile was hidden behind a shadow, making him unrecognizable. "My dear Alistar, look what I found? Isn't she exquisite?" The man laughed, not a friendly laugh but the sort that would turn normal human blood into ice, turning the phone to show Emily where she was unconscious, lying on the table, hands tied above her head. 

The next scene was Emily the night in hospital, her red hair falling on her face. They could see the man's hand gently removing the hair and tucking it in behind her ear, lingering a moment before taking it away. Next, it showed where she was sleeping in her room, having a nightmare, only wearing an oversize t-shirt. Emily had kicked her covers off the bed in her attempt to get away from whatever was chasing her. Showing her well-shaped legs. The man stretched out his hand to touch her thigh, stopping just before his hand met flesh. Laughing again, he pulled back his hand. "We don't want to wake her up, now do we" Turning to the camera with his face still hidden in a shadow, he said, "So do you know who I am now, Alistar? See, I did come to find you. Do you think you will be able to keep this one alive?"

Not wanting to crush the phone with his hands, Alistar threw it on the table as if it burned his hand.

"Do you know who this is?" Gregory inquired, already knowing the answer.

Alistar nodded his head "Luther."

Staring into the empty fireplace, Alistar continued, "At least now we know who we are up against"

"And that Emily is just an innocent bystander."

"Innocent or not, she is in danger. I think it's time we meet" Alistar stood up, turning to Gregory "My old friend, please go get some rest. I believe tonight we are going to a diner."

Just after dusk, Alistar and Gregory went to Michael, who was sitting behind his computer doing research. Looking up, Michael teased, "Where are you two love birds going?"

"Mommy and Daddy are going out. Please behave yourself and see if you can find some information on this phone," Alistar said from the door throwing the cell to Michael to catch.

Inside the diner, Alistar stared at the girl with her back to him, ignoring the blond trying to catch his eye. He saw Emily say something to the girl next to her before turning. Her smile froze as their eyes locked. Alistar gave a small smile when Emily dropped her pen. Gregory gave Alistar a small push towards the counter, leaving the seat in front of Emily empty for Alistar.

It took Emily a moment to swallow, looking at the man in front of her, taking in his broad shoulders, her eyes moving to his strong, beautifully shaped arms resting for a moment on his hands, remembering how it felt when he held her. Mentally shaking herself, she looked at his face, his dark brown hair tied neatly away from his face, his warm chocolate brown eyes returning her stare. Her eyes traveled down to his full lips. Unaware of what she was doing, Emily bit her bottom lip.

Realizing Britney was doing her best to get the man's attention in front of Emily, she shook her head as if wanting to break the spell he was casting over her. The other guy that came in with him started laughing, turning to Britney, "I don't think he is listening to anything you are saying. Why don't you tell me the specials."

Emily smiled apologetically. "Sorry for a moment. You looked very familiar. Would you like some coffee?" she turned around, not waiting for an answer, taking a moment to collect her thoughts. Britney, not wanting Emily to serve them, pushed her out of the way, whispering her voice full of venom, "Move Little Miss Virgin, you wouldn't know what to do with him even if you could get him," taking the coffee and putting them before the men giving them her best smile.

Alistar looked at the blond before him and the cup of coffee she had just placed before him, moving it away from him with the back of his hand. "I don't want anything you touched" Gregory struggled to hold his laugh when he looked at her bewildered face. Her face turning bright red, not knowing where to look, Britney took the cup and fled to the kitchen.

"Ok, you would probably need to tell me about the specials then," Gregory laughed, looking at Emily. Emily smiled for the first time, looking at the man that had just spoken. He was not quite as tall as the man sitting next to him but not short in any sense of the word. His shoulders were probably just as broad, but his hair was light brown with a natural curl that he wore loose, falling on his shoulders with friendly hazel-colored eyes.

Irritated, Alistar sat back, crossing his arms, watching Emily tell Gregory about the specials, recommending the cheeseburger. He can't remember the last time he felt jealous, but now he felt like he could rip his best friend's head off. Gregory sensed his friend's emotions turned to him, lifting an eyebrow, looking amused but not saying a word. Gregory held out his hand to Emily. "I am Gregory, and this is Alistar"

"I'm Emily" Emily smiled, showing her name badge. Emily was grateful for Gregory, that kept talking, not sure if she would have been able to speak more than five words with Alistar without making a total ass of herself. She kept looking over at him, trying to remember why he would be in her dreams. Emily also noticed the more Gregory talked to her. The more Alistar looked like he wanted to throttle his friend.

"Kiddo kitchen is closing," Ben said, coming from the kitchen standing next to Emily.

"Thanks," turning to Gregory and Alistar, "Do you still want to order anything?"

"No, you are probably tired and would like to go home," Gregory replied, standing up, taking money out of his pocket, and putting it down on the counter.

"Would you like to go out for dinner tomorrow night?" Alistar spoke for the first time since Britney left, startling Emily. Even Gregory looked shocked before hiding a smile behind his hand.

"Sorry, I am working tomorrow night," Emily apologized.

"Nonsense," Ben spoke up. "Go have some fun. After everything that happened the last couple of days, you need some distraction" Looking at Alistar "you can pick her up here at 8 pm."

Then turning to Emily, "Or would you like me to tell Anna you turned down a date?" Ben knew that Anna had been encouraging Emily for the last year to go out and have some fun, joking about wanting grandkids someday. Ben and Anna had watched for years how Emily struggled with allowing people into her life and just when they thought that she was starting to open up, last week happened. It concerned them that she would end up alone. They both loved Emily like their own daughter, wanting her to have a normal life, meet someone special, settle down, and be happy.

Shaking her head and putting her hands up, Emily said, "Ye great, thanks. See tomorrow night" before turning around and going into the kitchen.

Greeting Ben, Gregory, and Alistar turned around and left.

Outside Gregory turned to Alistar. "So..."

"Just shut up," Alistar said. "Go away. I will take the first shift," throwing the car keys to Gregory before disappearing into the dark.