Chapter 22: Pretend girlfriend

As I tossed and turned in bed that night, my mind couldn't help but wander back to what had happened that afternoon. There was no doubt that the gossip blog had somehow got it wrong.

Somehow.

The Yale Gossip, infamous for its scarily accurate reports, had somehow messed up the hottest gossip of them all.

I had to believe Jacob instead. I remembered how his face had contorted with the emotions of pain and frustration, how vulnerable he had been back in his dorm, the way his eyes pleaded me to believe him - Jacob was telling the truth when he had said that the gossip blog had done him wrong by throwing him in the limelight.

Ought I to help him, then? I must have been the only girl he'd asked, otherwise he wouldn't have looked so desperate earlier. I had reason to believe that if he had asked anyone else, they would have agreed without any hesitation.

The prospect of being the hero and correcting a grave injustice, whilst being in a relationship with the 'hottest guy on campus' - wasn't that just a dream come true?

So then: why hadn't I agreed?

It wasn't because I didn't want negative attention. I would sacrifice anything to help Jacob - that much was certain. It wasn't because I didn't care for him - like I said, I would do anything to help him. It had occurred to me many times by now that I was deeply, hopelessly charmed by Jacob. I was infatuated.

Now that I was certain Jacob really needed my help, the only thing holding me back was a nagging fear at the back of my mind. I was scared of messing this up - if this was the only chance Jacob and I had at a relationship, I didn't want it to start under these premises. Not some heroic move to rescue him from his demise - that was almost too fictional to be true. If our relationship ever grew from there, would we ever forget that it had all been pretend? All just a game?

My eyebrows were furrowed as I thought it through over and over. I had to conquer the irrational fear deep inside me; I had to help Jacob with this - even if he said he would deal with it himself. Because I was almost certain it wouldn't work.

First of all, how would he try to correct the blog? Personally go and speak to that girl? I couldn't even begin to imagine how she would feel. What was she feeling right now? Assuming she had seen the blog, she'd be confused, for sure, but she'd be ecstatic. Jacob had been her crush for the longest time, and suddenly she was his girlfriend. Even if she knew it wasn't right, there was no way she'd tell anyone about the mistake.

She would wait for Jacob to make the first move. So if Jacob went and told her that it was all a lie, she'd be crushed. However, if she found out that he'd had a girlfriend all along, at least she'd be more accepting. And everyone else who was watching this drama unfold would also be more accepting that the blog had made a mistake. Maybe they'd think the Yale Gossip had merely identified the wrong person.

It was decided - I had to help Jacob out with this.

And so, with these thoughts swishing in and out of my brain like turbulent waves, I finally had a peace of mind, and subsequently fell into an uneasy sleep.

——

I had stalked into Jacob's dorm house for breakfast. I had arrived at 7am, then hid myself in one of the bathroom stalls and waited until I heard enough chatter to assume that people had started filing into the cafeteria for breakfast.

I stood in the sea of students, trying not to look lost, as my eyes rested for fleeting moments on one face after another in search of Jacob's. Jacob, where are you?

There he was.

Coming in through the mahogany double doors, Jacob was following a few steps behind his mates, looking a little puzzled. His friends seemed to be in great spirits, but Jacob obviously was not. He seemed engulfed in his own thoughts.

I bit my lip, and uttered a quick prayer to my guardian angel before I approached his group. Gosh, they were intimidating. A bunch of hotties coming my way-
'Jacob?'
'Liv!' Jacob looked extremely startled.
'Hi... um, can I speak to you for a moment?'
Some his friends paused in their conversation to stare. I felt more uncomfortable than ever.

I led Jacob to an intricate garden outside the cafeteria. Wisteria blossomed around us, and pansies of all sizes and colours surrounded our feet.
'Liv-? Why are you here? How-' He began.
'Listen up: I'm gonna help you. Be your pretend girlfriend. That type of thing.'
I caught a smile twist his mouth upwards. I felt like I hadn't seen him smile in days. I missed it. But it faded again as he began seriously: 'I appreciate the effort. I really do. But I don't think you know what you're getting yourself into. Like I said yesterday, I'll handle it myself.'

'No, Jacob.' I stepped in closer to him, just so he would see that I was taking this just as seriously as he was. 'I've thought about it. A lot. I'm going to help. Please let me.'

There was a silence that seemed to stretch on forever. Finally, Jacob stretched out his hand. It was shaking. I held onto it. His skin was calloused but warm and assuring as ever. He gave mine a tight squeeze.

As we headed back for the cafeteria door, I murmured: 'Jacob Dalton and Olivia Garner. Boyfriend-girlfriend for 1 month now.' Through my peripheral vision, I saw Jacob break into a huge, toothy grin.

——

'So, how can we help?' This was Sophie, who, along with Alana and Henry, were leaning in with a mixture of excited and concerned looks. We were in the New Haven Cafe again, and this place had almost become a ritualistic meeting spot for the four of us.

I had told them everything that had happened between me and Jacob over the past three days, from finding out about it through the Yale Gossip, to him approaching me that evening, to visiting him in his dorm ('that's so cute!' Alana had exclaimed), to finally making up my mind to help him get out of this mess ('are you sure you're not getting him out of this mess into another one?' Henry had said, skeptically).

'I think the only way you can help us right now is by spreading the word - carefully and discreetly, of course - that Jacob already has a girlfriend. Our final goal is to have the gossip blog realise their mistake, and...change it, I guess.' I said.

'Change it, how? "We have now been informed that Jacob is now dating Liv Garner". How does that sound?' Alana laughed, playfully punching me on the shoulder. 'Liv, there's no way to go back after this. Are you sure about this? There will be an insane amount of negative attention directed towards you two.'

I nodded. 'I know. But I want to do this. I have to.'

'Well, that's settled then. Good luck, Liv! We'll have your back no matter what. Come talk to us if there are any problems.' Sophie said. I nodded, beyond grateful for these genuine, kind friends.

'Hey, Liv, when are you gonna use that Starbucks Pass you won at the talent show?' Henry perked up all of a sudden. 'Treat us to some Starbucks?'

I laughed heartily. 'Sure, sure. Just because y'all are such great friends.' Henry high-fived Alana, both looking gleeful.