Chapter 20: Relationship rumours

The excitement of the talent show almost a week ago was just beginning to wear off as I sped through the college campus to my documentary-making class. I particularly enjoyed this class for its relaxed atmosphere - we had a great teacher too.

Autumn was just around the corner, and I could already feel the chilly, wintry air setting in. Perfect for studying in my dorm, wrapped in a blanket with a cup of hot chocolate warming my hands. My life was practically inspired by the dark academia aesthetic, and I couldn't believe that I was basically living it here at Yale.

My phone dinged.
Liv!! I've got two things to tell you: a piece of good news and some interesting news. Which one do you want to hear first? This was Alana.
Oh hi! Um, the good news? I replied, uncertain. What in the world could this be about?
Ok. Guess what, you're featured in the school newsletter! Alana typed, followed by plenty of festive, happy emojis. She proceeded to send me a screenshot of my feature article.
Ahh, that's super embarrassing..., I grimaced when I saw the screenshot. There was a picture of me performing my piece, my dress flourishing about my ankles and my expression animated, immersed in the music. There was also an article filled with praise for my performance, ending with a prediction on how I would be Yale's 'next big star'. I hated seeing myself, but the effort was appreciated.
What are you talking about? You look stunning :) , Alana texted back.

Ok, ok. I figured there was no point in arguing with her. Now what's the other piece of news? I asked, my curiosity building.
I saw this on the Yale Gossip blog: apparently Jacob Dalton has a girlfriend now! Alana texted. Shoot, class is starting. Ttyl!

Sure enough, the bell rang. Darn, I was late. What?! Come to my dorm in the afternoon so we can talk more plz, I typed hurriedly, before finally reaching my documentary-making classroom and sitting down with a thump. My heart was pounding, and I figured it had less to do with rushing to class and more to do with what I had just heard from Alana. Since personal devices were banned in this class, I didn't have the opportunity to check the gossip blog, despite all my urges to do so.

Jacob with a girlfriend? When I had seen him last — that is, at the talent show — he looked as single as a pringle, despite having loads of female admirers. Could he really have hooked up with someone that quickly? And if he had, good for him, right? Right?

I felt a sudden twinge of something unpleasant. Surely I felt happy for him? Surely I was happy to finally be rid of that pestering ignoramus of a guy? Ok, maybe that was a little too harsh. But I didn't like him. Of course I didn't. Why would I?

Those were the thoughts I kept repeating to myself all throughout that class, and throughout the rest of the day.

——

'Li-iv!' Alana peeked in through my door, dressed in a beige-colored blazer and a brown plaid skirt. She seemed to be effortlessly chic, and her style was always on point.
'Hey Alana!' I forced a half-hearted smile. 'Come in, come in.'
'Oh, let me show you that gossip article I was talking to you about earlier:' She whipped out her phone, and began typing furiously. 'Here.'
I scrolled to the article with a burning curiosity, gasping as I was met with a photo of Jacob that filled half of the screen. In it, he was posing with a few of his mates near the beach, dressed in shorts only which displayed his muscular body.

Breaking gossip: Jacob Dalton has a girlfriend?!

It has been confirmed by several inside sources that sophomore hottie Jacob Dalton has recently been spotted kissing none other than Julie Blanche, also in sophomore year, who is known for her obsession with Jacob as one of his 'super-fans'. More news to come, but this is just to let you ladies know that Jacob is now taken! Let Julie be an inspiration to you gals - never give up trying; maybe one day you, too, will strike gold!