the eight-tailed fox; part 2

"qian qian..."

"don't ask again."

"he's been out there for two days."

"feng jiu's been unconscious for three, and it's taking everything in me not to chase him back to-"

"feng jiu's awake!"

bai qian shot ye hua a sharp glare and rushed into the den, and dijun's eyes flickered up to the direction of the den. his heart began pumping.

she was awake.

for the past two days, he'd allowed himself to clear his head and think about whether it was for the best to follow his heart or his brain.

no matter how many times he attempted to convince himself that no, feng jiu didn't need him, because all he did was bring her pain, and that his sacrifice was all for the world, he couldn't even freaking convince himself.

who even invented emotions anyway?

dijun sighed and resigned himself to the fact that even if feng jiu didn't need him, he would always need her.

and he was going to tell her exactly how he felt, even though he'd never done of it before, or thought of it before.

after all, there was always a first time for everything.
__________________
"let me see her." dijun said softly.

zhe yan and feng jiu's parents stood to the side, as bai qian squared off with dijun.

"no. you were so keen to be rid of her. i don't see why you have to be with her now."

"if this is about me hurting her-"

"qian qian." ye hua stepped in, resting a large hand over hers. "i think they have a lot to talk about."

with a little more wheedling from ye hua, and a few (read: multiple) eye rolls from zhe yan, a reluctant bai qian was stepping aside and dijun was striding into the room where feng jiu lay, fully conscious.

her wide eyes were dulled, but alert as ever, and dijun merely sat down before lacing his fingers through hers.

her eyes widened even further and she turned her head up to face him. "dijun-"

he shook his head as she tried to get up, silently laying her down again. "you need to rest. don't get up."

"you said-"

he shook his head again. "that's why i'm here."

he swallowed. now or never, he told himself. and so he talked.

he told her about everything from the start. how he didn't want to marry if it meant keeping peace, and so he carved off his name. he told her of how he had regretted his choice once she came into his life, and yet told himself that he had to live with it.

he told her that he would not hold back now, and damn the heavens if they were to punish him for being with her.

he told her that he loved her.

her eyes were wide through it all, blinking slowly in confusion when he finished.

"you love me?"

"i do."

"really?"

dijun did not stop the small smile creeping onto his face.

"really."