XVIII

"Come now, all of you. The master wishes to address you today during his breakfast." Sebastian informed, an expectant glare cast upon you and the three other servants whom you had just finished a rather taxing conversation with. Said conversation being about the use of military gear in cooking.

Bardroy was the first to pipe up, "What's 'e wanna talk to us about?" his unlit cigarette threatened to slide out from the grip his teeth held on it. Pondering the current staffing situation, you guessed it most likely had something to do with the latest, temporary, addition to the estate's employ.

"Is it about Grell?" you asked, noticing the slight twitch in the butler's brow at the mention of the bespectacled servant.

With unwavering irritation, the demon confirmed your suspicion, "Yes. During his time here, both the master and I will need the four of you to be on your best behavior." He exhaled, strained with frustration, "The master has informed me that I am to devote my time to training that buffoon, so should you create more work for me..." The glare he shot at the other three in the room made them stiffen, the rest of the sentiment relayed non-verbally.

With haste, the four of you made your way to the dining room without Sebastian, who had gone to fetch Ciel. While the others continued the earlier conversation during the wait for the young lord, you instead thought back to what the butler had said moments prior. Summoning within yourself an awkward feeling at realizing Sebastian had addressed Grell by male pronouns.

You supposed it made sense, the character Grell was playing happened to be male, though with the knowledge that wasn't the case you wondered whether it was something worth mentioning to the demon. Surely something like that wouldn't phase him, even given the time period.

You dwelled on the thought a little longer until the young lord made his way through the doors, stress visible in the crease between his brows.

The three beside you bowed and you followed suit, "Master." you greeted in unison as the boy sat down in the too large chair pulled out for him by Sebastian.

The boy waved away the formality with the hand that wasn't pressed into his temple. "I called you here to discuss madam Red's incompetent servant." he began, stopping briefly to watch as Sebastian placed his food in front of him, "I will be leaving today to go into town, I trust that the four of you can somehow manage that fool on your own for a while." With the coming of Ciel's silence, your ears honed in on a different sound, one that came from beyond the dining room.

You looked to your right at the closed doors and then to your left at the three other servants who also picked up on the odd sound, which seemed to be loud rattling along with clambering footsteps. When you looked to the butler who stood at the other end of the room, he looked back with an unamused glower.

As the sound grew louder you realized exactly what it was, albeit a little too late. Grell rammed open the doors with a serving trolley and with no sign of stopping, even once making it past the threshold into the room, you noticed that the trolley was headed straight for you. You would like to pretend your reflexes were fast enough to be the cause of your sudden movement out of harm's way, but you knew it was more likely the work of the gloved hand which tugged at the waist of your apron.

While you might have been saved from a painful fate, the gardener was not, and by the time you peeled your eyes away from the butler in front of you, Finnian's shirt was drenched in steaming tea. He jumped up, yelping in pain as he tugged his shirt away from his body, causing all but the earl and the demon to look his way.

Grell, who had been winded by the handle of the trolley, watched dazed at the scene before running over alarmed. "Ah- I'm so so sorry, I-" the reaper looked over at the table, spotting a napkin and reached for it, "Ah- I'll wipe it off!"