VIII

You followed him inside and to the room both Ciel and the guest were playing a board game in. Sebastian ushered you to the side of the door, keeping you out of the way for the others to exit you suspected.

When Sebastian opened the door you heard him excuse himself, "Pardon the interruption, but dinner is served," he informed.

"Oh! Dining out in that exquisite-" You noticed the fleck of his Italian accent in that word particularly, "stone garden." He turned to speak to Ciel, "Shall we go, my lord?" he asked, his chair shuffling slightly.

"Very well, we'll finish the game later." There was an air of finality in the earl's voice, you assumed his patience was wearing a bit thin with his guest. It was to be expected though.

"Oh..." You hear the creak of the guest's chair, "is there any real need to finish it? It's obvious I'm going to lose."

Ciel planted his feet on the ground, standing up, "I'm not in the habit of abandoning games half way through." Not even waiting for a response, the young lord made his way to the door.

The guest sneered at the boy, under his breath you heard him mutter "How childish." There was spite laced into his words, as clear as day.

You glanced at Sebastian whose eyes were glued onto his master. The boy in question turned a fraction to glower down at his still seated guest, who's hands flew up to gesture innocently as he lied through his teeth, "Uh, I-" he cut himself off, closing his eyes and smiling nervously, a bead of sweat dripping down his cheek. "I mean-a sometimes it's takes a child's eyes to see what's really important." he lowered his arms like he'd gotten away with it, "it's a true gift, maybe that's what's made the Phantomhives the nation's foremost toy makers." he stood up and turned his body to face the exit, "It certainly impresses me." the man finished.

The annoyance on the butler's face was clear and as the young lord and his guest stepped out of the room he looked to you and pointed to his side, silently ordering you to walk beside him. You did so, doing what you assume is customary and bowing a little towards the earl and the Italian man as they made to follow you and the butler to dinner.

"My, Earl, I didn't see this maid of yours earlier. What reason is there for her to be following your head butler around?" you heard the guest pipe up from behind you.

"She is a new hire and she is not a maid. My head butler thought it wise to add a fortune teller to my staff, keeping me safe is his priority after all and if this is how he sees fit to do it then so be it." There was a slight groan in his voice. You almost felt the urge to talk for yourself but you got the feeling it would do more harm than good. "Pay her no mind, she-" he was cut off mid sentence as the Italian man at his side clasped his hand together with a loud smack.

"A-ha! A fortune teller you say?" there was no time to answer the question before he continued on, "might I ask what you see in my future?"

You hesitated, waiting for someone to allow you to respond and hearing a sigh from behind you, "Well, go on." Ciel said, picking up his pace to walk in front of both you and Sebastian. You looked at the butler and he motioned for you to walk beside the guest.

As you slowed down to match the man's speed you looked at him and nothing really stood out to you about his appearance. He was very plain and almost boring looking but you supposed that was to be expected from such a minor character. He looked at you expectantly and you made sure to be careful with the information you relayed to him, "I see that you will be confused yet amazed by the dish prepared for you tonight." you began.

The man chuckled, "but of course, that's to be expected of the Phantomhives hospitality," he boasted, his loud and proud demeanor was somewhat irritating. "That can hardly be all. Is there fortune in my future?" he asked, his smile turning sinister and you remembered the whole reason he was seeing the lord in the first place.