XIX

Mey-rin had been called to assist Elizabeth in preparing for the party while Ciel had excused himself to continue working, stating that he would not take nearly as much time getting ready. That wasn't so much because the outfit was less complex, but more so that he had a butler that could work at inhuman speed to help. 

When Elizabeth told them she planned on having you accompany her, the boy hadn’t seemed surprised, stating that it was very in character for his fiance to extend that kind of charity. Sebastian, on the other hand, seemed discontented at the idea. You figured he just didn't want to keep more than one member of the Phantomhive manor in check. Though, given that you had joined the side that forced the young lord to go, you couldn’t refuse the invitation yourself.

Finding some spare time as you waited for the nobles to get ready, you thought back to the events of the episode. By your recollection, you would be somewhere in the third episode, but you were somewhat confused. In the episode, it had started out just like your day had, Grell caused a fuss and then Ciel and Sebastian went into town to pick up the cane. Unlike the episode, however, Elizabeth had not transformed the manor into a pretty pink mess, nor had she insisted the earl host a ball in the manor, instead she had implored him to attend a party she was invited to.

You had begun to recall the other details of the episode and your heart sank a little. You noticed as you were carrying in the lady’s gifts for Ciel that there was a small ring box, the one that, in the show, Elizabeth had gotten vexed at the boy for not wearing, causing her to throw his family ring to the ground in a fit of immature anger. You remembered how distraught it had made the boy, he had even raised a hand to strike his fiance and had it not been for his butler, he very likely would have followed through.

After some contemplation, you decided you would tell Sebastian. While he had not taken kindly to your suggestion that he protect the boy from witnessing the death of his aunt, this minor occurrence didn’t seem like some kind of character, or flavour, building the demon would miss. 

You made your way to the young lord’s office, knowing that was where the two of them were likely to be, and knocked, announcing your presence. 

“Come in.” the Earl instructed. 

You opened the door, excusing yourself with a bow. “Master.” You had almost begun to ask to have a private conversation with Sebastian, however, said butler was much quicker on the draw.

“Ah, perfect timing, miss [Y/N].” he said, shutting the pocket watch he held in his hand. “I was just about to demonstrate the waltz to the young master. Would you care to join me so he may see how it looks to dance with a partner?”

Oh fuck. 

You stared wide-eyed at the catty grin on the man’s face and then glanced at the frustrated look on the boy’s. Feeling your cheeks flush, part of you wanted to refuse out of sheer embarrassment, but an even larger part of you knew you simply couldn’t out of sheer attraction to the demon. “I-” you cleared your throat, finding it to be dry, “I’m not familiar with the dance, I haven’t done it before,” you admitted, feeling almost disappointed by the fact. 

Sebastian’s smile did not falter, he instead beckoned you to him with a tilt of his head and the rise of his brow, “I simply need to show the Master how to lead. All you must do is follow.” 

There was an expectant look on the boy’s face, and both you and he knew the alternative was the boy dancing with his demon servant. So you closed your eyes and sighed, trying to abate your nerves, as you walked over and stood awkwardly in front of Sebastian.

“Very good. Now.” He extended his left hand out to you, palm up while bowing slightly at the waist, “If you would do me the honor, my Lady,” he began, starting from the request, “May I have this dance?”