XIII

The boy asks you how your employment has been thus far and, without including the part where his demon servant has been harassing you, you tell him that you have been enjoying your time at the manor. You regard the other servants as nice, albeit rather destructive, and you even mention that Sebastian has been hospitable which is somewhat truthful.

After pleasant small talk, which you suspect was just Ciel trying to avoid doing his work, the boy dismisses you and his butler to go about preparing for the guests. You bow to the young earl and follow Sebastian out into the hallway where he stops, facing you with a gentle smile.

"What exactly does Mr. Vanel do to endanger the lord?" He asks, making his way down the hall, glancing back to make sure you know to follow him, which you do.

You think back to the episode, knowing only a detailed explanation would suffice, "Well, he and his lackeys kidnap Ci- the young lord and take him to their hideout."

"I see, and where is this hideout?" Sebastian's long strides are hard to keep up with, you find yourself jogging every few steps to match his speed.

"I don't remember that part..." You admit, realizing that the small details of an episode might prove to be the most important.

The butler sighs, "Very well, at what time does the abduction take place?" he slows to a stop and turns to face you, pulling out his pocket watch to glance at the time.

"I'm not sure... It was still daylight time though, I think you came to give him afternoon tea as well."

"Where is the earl taken from?" comes his next question without much indication that he even listened to your previous answer.

"His study." You keep it short, concise answers seeming to please the demon more.

He makes a small noise of acknowledgement in the back of his throat and puts his pocket watch back where it belongs, "I appreciate your help, [Y/N]." His mouth is curled up at the edges, the slight indication of a smirk.

"What, no miss or lady?" You joke, feeling the pressure of his questioning ease off your shoulders, "You seem to use titles a lot so why stop when it's just the two of us?".

The demon's eyes dip low, then close as he chuckles for a breath, opening his eyes again to impart a delicate gaze upon you. "I had gathered you felt uncomfortable when such honorifics accompanied your name. I assumed you would appreciate if I did not apply them when in private."

You blush a little, not having expected he would do something so small to make you feel more at ease. A small "Oh" and a rushed expression of appreciation for the thought make it past your lips, followed by you tucking your hair behind your ear as a nervous reflex.

"I will, however, need to address you properly when in the company of others." His gaze has left your eyes, now slowly roaming along the edge of your figure, "Alone, I will call you by whatever you desire." You feel a tingle in the tips of your fingers, making you itch to reach out. "Come now, there is still work to be done before the Lord's guests arrive."

╚═☩══♛══☩═╝

The guests arrive one by one and are lead to the games room by Sebastian. You follow close at the butler's side, him wanting you to meet the guests in the case that you could tell him information about their roles in the story. First to arrive is Lord Arthur Randall, the police commissioner of Scotland Yard. Following him are Lau and Ran-Mao, the latter firmly attached to the former's side, sparing you a catty glance, intense in look but innocent in meaning.

There were a few other characters to arrive, including Azzurro Vanel, but most of which you couldn't quite recognize before both you and Sebastian made your way over to the games room, offering refreshments to the guests. Ciel dismisses the two of you, but not before asking about the arrival of his aunt, Madam Red. Your heart sinks a little and you look off to the side, Sebastian answering that she hadn't yet arrived.