XVI

The reward that the demon was talking about was a slice of the deep-dish pie, however, it was only served to you after Ciel had already had his fill of it. The butler had given you scraps as thanks for protecting his master. When he had promised you a reward, you would be remiss to say you had not expected it to be a little more in the realm of that sin he had so much delight in teasing you about only a night prior. Sighing, you dismissed the thought and continued to work on your duties, finding yourself in the foyer as the sky had become painted with pink and orange.

"Oh, you, maid." You heard from behind you. It startled you a touch, you hadn't expected anyone else would be wandering around the manor who wasn't the lord or his employ.

"Ah- Miss Dalles. I thought you had gone home already." you greeted, fixing her with a slight bow, hands clasped at front of your dress, holding onto a dirty rag.

"I couldn't leave without bidding farewell to my nephew. I also have a request to make of him." She tucked a strand of crimson hair behind her ear, "Do you know where he is?" she asked, arms crossed as she smiled at you softly. Caged and unthreatening. You supposed she had a while to practice those kind and welcoming mannerisms.

Looking off to the side, you thought of an excuse for why she couldn't see the earl. He seemed like he wanted to be left alone. "I'm sorry, he's currently indisposed with work." You looked back at her and her eyes had grown sombre, "Is there a message I can relay to him for you?"

Her eyes betrayed her smile as she acted as though she was unbothered by the aloofness of her nephew, "Yes, could you please let him know that I will be leaving Grell here to study under Sebastian's tutelage in a few days' time?"

"Yes, of course." You nodded, "Is that all?"

She chuckled to herself, sparing you a last glance before she turned around to walk through the entrance of the manor, "Tell him it's rude to avoid his guests." Her tone was joking and affectionate.

"Yes madam." You bowed, once again, to the baronesses back and then she was gone, followed at her heels by Grell whom you hadn't even noticed was standing by the doors.

┈ ┈ ┈ ⋞ ⟨ ⏣ ⟩ ⋟ ┈ ┈ ┈

"That is all, my lord." you informed him of what Madam Red had told you and the boy groaned, playing with a pen on his desk.

"Very well, it would do me no good to deny the Madam's request." When he looked up at you, it almost seemed like he was appraising you. "Say, how do you find Sebastian's teachings?" The question came as a bit of a surprise, you figured an earl would deem the opinion of his staff unimportant.

"I beg your pardon, sir?" you asked, not sure what importance the question had.

"You've met the other members in my employ, they were similarly taught by my butler. I want to know why it is that you can manage to serve tea without ruining the service six ways from Sunday." You suspected he was asking out of genuine curiosity, but his lack of expression suggested he was just asking to pass the time.

"I would say he is... an adequate teacher." you responded, though, as you thought about it, you believed that under any other circumstance, Sebastian would have been considered a terrible teacher. He was perfectly happy to teach once and never again, but then he would complain when something was not done perfectly. No normal human being would be capable of perfecting an entire service after only doing it once. "On second thought..."

The boy smirked, "Right? He's utterly hopeless as a teacher. In fact, I suspect that the reason you are able to perform well is due to factors external to his tutelage." With his visible eye closed, he chuckled into his clenched hand. "I was just curious." When the boy leaned back in his chair, his gaze was held on the stack of papers in front of him and his smile faltered.