Chapter 22

Just as I had promised Benjamin, I had Maria home before nightfall. Loveday, being the overprotective sister she is, insisted I spend the night at the manor instead of trekking back to the castle. I agreed, but only until dawn.

My body ached by the time I settled in my room, but I had other intentions during my stay. As soon as the house was quiet, and I knew Digweed had gone back to his new wife after his rounds, I snuck out of my room and into the library.

The book, thankfully, was still where we left it on the desk and not hidden away, and I stared at the page below me. For a time, Maria and I were writing the story, filling all of the blank pages...but now...this one page, already predestined to happen?

"Robin? What are you doing out of bed so late?" I didn't even need to turn around, as Maria was already running her arms across my chest, leaning her cheek against my shoulder. She was warm, and I couldn't help but feel safe with her.

"I should be asking you the same question, little princess."

"I am not little," she mumbled. I put my hand over hers and let my thumb rub the back of her hand.

"But you are very tired, and you need to sleep." My other hand remained on the book, and she squeezed me tight for a moment.

"I keep thinking about it. It really hasn't left my mind." She kissed my cheek and I shut the book quickly. "Robin?"

"What do you think about when you think of us?"

"Well...quite a lot. I think about the things that have happened in the past, and the things that still have yet to happen."

I picked up the book and pulled her back up to her room, both of us as silent as possible. I shut her door and turned the lock, to make sure no one could interrupt us.

"Maria, I know you've thought about it much more than that. Please tell me."

"What do you mean?" She settled herself back in bed and I set the book on her desk.

"I want to know everything you think about."

"Everything? That would take quite a long time to explain..."

I sat on the edge of her bad and took her hands in mine, "Please Maria, it's all I've been able to think about for weeks now."

"What happens if there's something that I want that doesn't happen? Whether or not we can control the situation? I'd hate for you to think it's your fault for something not happening."

"Tell me anyways."

She hesitated for a moment, "Well...alright. But you have to promise me that you'll never blame yourself if something doesn't end up happening."

"I promise." She stuck out her pinky finger and motioned for me to do the same. "What is this?" I asked as she linked our fingers.

"A pinky promise. You can't break this, no matter what."

"I already promised you this," I said, chuckling.

"Do you want me to tell you or not?" I nodded. "That's what I thought."

"Please tell me?" She patted the space next to her, and I crawled in, settling against her side. I could feel her fingers run through my hair, and I relaxed into her more.

"I think about a lot when I think of us. I think about what I want my life to be like, and how nights like these can happen more often. Dinners and parties, holidays with the family..."

"What else?" She curled around me, pulling my head into the curve of her neck. I wrapped my arms around her, keeping her just as close.

"I think of the day we get married, what could happen."

"And what is that?"

"A lot of things make me worry...because of what we've already been through. But the good things...I want a party like Loveday and Benjamin. Where everyone is dancing and happy. An all-night event," She yawned as she spoke, and I knew it wouldn't be long until she fell asleep. Her breathing slowed and became steady as we laid together.

"Do you think we could sneak away like we did at theirs?"

"I highly doubt it."

"Would you try?"

Her fingers were no longer moving through my hair, and her breaths were slow and deep. She had finally fallen asleep, but she wasn't letting me go. For the first time in a while, I felt home again..