That there isn't something to want.

I resumed staring down at my phone, a little more diverted.

Jeon Jungkook

Are you home? done with dinner? sorry if I'm disturbing you.

Actually, I need someone I can talk to.

"Who are you texting?" Namjoon asked me after a brief moment of silence on my part, and that caused me to shrink into embarrassment, knowing how rude it was to use my phone while I was having dinner with him.

I snapped out of it and turned off my device. I gave him an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry. It's a colleague."

Namjoon pointed down at my phone. "Is it about work?"

I shook my head. "Nope. He just needs help with something."

"Well, if it's urgent..."

Was it urgent? Obviously, my conversation with Jungkook was concerning and the way he sounded over the phone call was pushed back into my mind. He sounded too off, like he was shaking but stopping himself from falling apart, and when he told me he was fine, I knew he didn't want to discuss it.

Namjoon must have noticed I was holding back so he fished out his card and told me, "It's okay with me if you have to leave sooner than what we agreed on. We can meet next time. Of course, only if you like."

I couldn't help but grin at him. "I'd love that."

"I hope you enjoyed this evening with me."

"I did. How could I not? You're a lot of fun." He called for the waitress before she dropped off the bill and I was quick to pull out my wallet. "Let's split the bill."

"I got it, Soohyun."

"Wait, no. This is embarrassing." In the end, after a few more times of persuasion, I managed him to get him to go along with it. As soon as we were settled and we had already gathered our things, we rushed out of the restaurant. "I'm really sorry... It's just this friend of mine looks like he's-"

"No, it's really okay. I've got no problem with that."

"Thank you, Namjoon." Without a warning, I narrowed the distance between us and stood on tiptoes, planting a soft kiss on his cheek. It was a quick peck, something I had not done to any guy before which explained my lack of experience, and honestly the pure thrill of initiating the move was palpable. It would have been humiliating had he leaned backwards, but when I pulled back from him, blush began to paint his cheeks.

He smiled shyly. "That was... I did not expect that."

"Yeah, me too. Sorry if-"

"No, I liked it."

This time, it was my heart that could not stop slamming against my ribs, and it was such a beautiful thing. It had been long since I felt something real, and yet fear tore at my brain with haste.

The moment I drove away, I rang up Jungkook's phone. He picked up but said nothing, so I asked. "Are you not feeling well?"

"Yeah."

"Where are you?"

"I'm... We can just talk on the phone..."

"Where are you?" I asked again.

"At a convenience store..."

"What are you doing there? Are you alone?"

It took him seconds to say, "It felt suffocating in my house."