Chapter 17

"What are you doing here, Top?" Chloe asked as she stared the boy down. Topper stepped up off of the ladder and onto the wooden floor. Chloe clenched her hands into fists and stepped closer to the boy.

"Hey take it easy Chloe."

"Don't fucking move!" John B exclaimed. Topper held his hands up in surrender.

"I just need to talk to Sarah," Topper muttered. "Please."

Chloe surveyed the boys face and he seemed to be sincere. "Fine."

"What do you want?" Sarah asked as she stepped next to Chloe. Topped stepped forward; closer to Sarah.

"It's not too smart, is it, meeting up with a fugitive like this?" Topper asked. He took another step forward so Chloe stepped in front of Sarah; getting in Topper's face.

"Hey. I'm not... I'm not... I'm not gonna do anything, all right?" Chloe scoffed at that comment. John B stepped closer to Topper as well, the boy looked into John B's eyes. "What? Are you gonna try to kill me too, man?"

"He didn't kill anyone!" Sarah exclaimed, she once again pushed Chloe back behind her.

"Are you serious! They've brainwashed you Sarah!" Topper exclaimed. "Chloe has you so far up in her trap!"

"No."

"Snap out of it Sarah!" Topper reached for the string of the bell and started pulling down on it. "Hey everyone! He's up here!"

The bell started to ring multiple times and it was very loud. Topper was going to give away their hiding spot.

"Stop!" Chloe exclaimed. "Please!"

The boy kept ringing the bell so Chloe swooped in and punched him in the arm. "Okay! Okay!"

"Topper knock it off!" Sarah exclaimed!

"Alright."

"Are you done?" John B asked; giving the boy a rude glare. Chloe grabbed the boy's arm to make sure he didn't ring the bell again. Topper shook his hand away and shoved Chloe backwards.

"I said alright!" Topper yelled. "Sarah, I warned you about these Pogues, didn't I?"

"John B is innocent and Chloe is not a bad person!" Sarah exclaimed. "She's actually really amazing."

"Then who did it Sarah?" Topper asked as he crossed his arms across his chest. "Hm?"

Sarah took a deep breath and sighed it out. "Rafe."

"What are you talking about?" Topper asked as he looked Sarah in the eyes.

"Why would I say that my own brother did it... if it wasn't true? I was there Topper! I saw it happen right in front of me."

"Don't lie to me Sarah!" Topper yelled.

"Don't yell at her," Chloe muttered. Topper glanced over at Chloe and nodded.

"Sheriff Peterkin was trying to arrest my father, and then Rafe shot her. That's my brother... Why would I lie about that?"

Topper's jaw dropped, Chloe could tell he believed everything Sarah was saying. Topper was smart enough to know Sarah wouldn't lie about her family. Suddenly sirens started to get closer to the building, and the red and blue lights started to fill the darkness. "Shit. We have to go," John B said. "Now."

"Yeah, we need to get out of here," Sarah replied as she grabbed Chloe's hand.

"Sarah, you realize I'm the one that loves you!" Topper exclaimed as he pointed to himself.