Chapter 9

Trigger Warning: Sexual Content at the end of the chapter
-------------------
"Hey, guys. So, like, my dad's already gonna kill me. So what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope asked.

The teens gathered in the woods close to the ocean which was their bonfire gathering area. They still had a few hours to kill before she needed to be at the Hawk's Nest. "Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed," JJ sneered.

"John B, share the news brother," Chloe added.

"You ready for this?"

Pope and Kiara looked at each other then nodded indicating that they were ready. "So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant."

Pope sighed and buried his head in his hands. "Not this again John B."

John B held his finger up to his lips and smiled. "It's been here the whole time. It's on the island guys!" He exclaimed.

"Oh. My. God," Kiara said.

Pope raised his eyebrows and said, "I'd like to voice my skepticism."

"I'm sure you would Pope, let me tell you the evidence," Chloe stated. "All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny."

"Who the hell is that?" Pope asked.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck." Chloe pulled the letter out of her bag and handed it to Kiara.

"Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery. So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom," John B explained.

"After that, he bought his farm. Drumroll, please, because that farm is."

The teens started to slap their knees really fast and looked up to Chloe. "Tannyhill plantation!"

Pope and Kiara's eyes widened at that statement. Honestly, Chloe was just as shocked as they were. "So, after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters, and then they decide to lynch him. So on the day they were coming to get him, he writes a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of that letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold."

"Which is, Harvest the wheat in parcel nine, near the water. Except, there is not wheat, wheat is code for gold you see," John B announced as he pointed to the picture of the gold bar.

"The gold is in parcel nine, near the water," Chloe added. The teens all looked at each other with big smiles on their faces. They've finally cracked the code that would make them filthy rich. "Holy shit!" Kiara exclaimed.

"All we need is an original survey map of the property, and bam! We've found the gold," Chloe stated with a grin.

"Okay so this might have a small chance of being actually true," Pope remarked. JJ jumped up and lifted Chloe into the air.

"You are a genius Chlo!"

Chloe looked down and saw they both were close to the fire. "Hey, hey back up please."

JJ gasped and backed up immediately then let the girl down.

"If it weren't for Chloe, we wouldn't have this letter, we owe it to her for sure," John B said.