"Rena?" Dick opened the door.

    "Sorry." I tried to move quicker. "I just needed—"

    "Some clothes?"

    "Yeah."

    He stepped closer, running a finger along the massive gash in my shoulder. I fought the urge to melt under his touch. "How does it feel?"

    "Like I got shot by an alien in the shoulder."

    He frowned.

    "It's fine," I told him. "It's healing."

Blüdhaven
TWO YEARS EARLIER

    For some reason, I'd come home determined to unpack our things.

    I took out all the kitchenware, washing everything that got caked in dust from being inside the boxes for too long. I mindlessly scrubbed all the plates and cups, until the sound of keys in the door brought me back to reality.

    Dick tossed his things onto the nearest box. "You unpacked?"

    "Tried to."

    Two nights ago we got into an argument. Then he left to who knows where and I slept in our bed alone.

    "Where'd you go?"

    "Stayed at the cave."

    "Hm..." I bit my lip, fighting the sudden urge to burst into tears.

    "Are you alright?"

    I had to turn away, but my voice faltered, "Fine."

    "Rena," he walked over, tightly wrapping his arms around my waist. I struggled to hide how my lip quivered. "We're okay, I just needed to take a breath."

    I'm not sure how many more breaths we could take. For months I've felt nothing, but suffocated and all of it is being taken out on him. The argument started over something so small that I can't remember, but it kept escalating until he said I was impossible to be with and I blamed him for Jason.

    "I didn't mean it."

    "I know," his finger stroked through my hair. "I didn't mean it either... So, are we okay?"

    I pulled myself back together and nodded, "We're okay."

    "Good," he grinned, leaning in towards my neck to kiss it. My eyes fluttered shut as he spoke into my ear, "Because I missed you."

    He moved all of my hair aside, pecking and biting until he reached my collarbone.

    I gestured to the soap covered dishes in the sink, "I need to finish doing these."

    "But I need to finish something else," he muttered between the kisses on my neck.

    "Is that a promise?"

    I felt him grin against my skin, "It's a guarantee."

    "I need to do these," I giggled.

    "I'll do the dishes for you tomorrow."

    My smile faded. "...Did you actually stay at the cave?"