A Challenge Won

Arnav and Khushi were diametrically opposites when it came to handling situations and assessing people and this had been a point of contention between them. With time, Arnav had started to acknowledge that there were some merits in Khushi's approach to life. Like, saving you a great deal of regret, when the truth turns out to be different than what the evidence and your experience pointed towards. This was one of the reasons, he didn't react immediately to the malarkey going on under his nose in the last month.

However, his instincts had got him this far in life and he wasn't about to start ignoring them, especially at such a crucial junction. He was a businessman, and a shrewd one; having back-up plans was a given. So, while he patiently followed his wife's footsteps of giving people the benefit of doubt, he set the wheels in motion, in case his intuition turned out to be accurate.

While he had kept Khushi in the loop, he couldn't take the risk of divulging all the details to her, as she would definitely not be on board with his plans. That was then. Now, with the hidden feelings of the "family" members coming to surface, Arnav was hopeful that Khushi would be on the same page as him. Bending down in front of her, Arnav clasped her hands in his and said,

Arnav: Khushi there's something I have to show you.

The steely yet vulnerable expression with which Arnav made that simple statement sent a shiver down Khushi's spine. She didn't know if she was prepared for what Arnav was going to say but it looked like it was her turn to be his support, so she asked him to carry on.

Arnav produced a copy of the paper he had asked his lawyer to get authorised, which outlined what he had planned for the members of Shantivan. It didn't specify the Guptas, but Khushi knew this would impact them as well. She asked in a guilt-laced voice

Khushi: Earlier you were planning to just stay separately for a few years. Everything else would have remained the same. But now this? I didn't know my attempts to bring the family together would drive a greater wedge between the members. If we had left two weeks back when you originally proposed, things wouldn't have spiralled out of control.

Arnav: Jaan, if we had left then, I probably would've kept wondering if I took the correct step. And you definitely would have regretted not trying. More than anything else, you witnessed some facts which helped you evaluate what you truly want for our baby's future. So, I for one am extremely content with the way things played out.

Arnav: And sweetheart, don't, even for one second longer, think you are in any way responsible for these papers. This was always the plan - last night led to some amendments which were required.

(The following part of the conversation is between ArShi and the readers. Well NK can be privy to this knowledge after some time. This part is not disclosed to the Raizadas and Guptas when Arnav narrates the flashbacks)

Arnav: I had asked for two similar sets of papers to be made – one had more lenient provisions than the other. Another difference being the duration – while one specified it as 5 years, the second one didn't mention a time frame. I was leaning towards the second option and last night's incident just strengthened my belief. If they knew there is an expiry date to their misery, they would just wait for the end, instead of trying to learn from it.

Khushi: All this was to teach them a lesson?

Arnav: It was partially to make them understand the consequences of hurting my loved ones. More importantly, the aim was to ensure that IF we did decide to return, it was to a family who truly respected, loved and appreciated us and our baby.

Arnav was aware that Khushi would have a hard time digesting this new information. He also knew that the longer he stayed here, the tougher it would be. Wanting to leave before Khushi gets lost on another guilt trip, he urged her to wrap things up soon.