(A)Shantivan

Shantivan Drawing Room

A heated conversation was going on between the Raizada princess and the unfortunate daughter-in-law of the house. Nani, Mami and Aakash were watching the verbal spat intently, ready to rush to Anjali's aid if (rather when) need be.

Buaji and Garima, who had come to fawn over Payal, were silently cursing Khushi for being so stubborn. They were worried that once again her actions would put their precious Payalia's marriage into peril.

Arnav and NK were silent spectators with irked faces but their annoyance was directed at different people. While NK was throwing murderous glances at Anjali, Arnav was wishing that Khushi listens to him and stops this debate. He was slowly losing his patience; the last two weeks she had tested it thoroughly and now enough was enough.

NK noticed Arnav and felt pity at his plight. He knew how difficult the last two weeks had been for both Khushi and Arnav. While Arnav never failed to take care of Khushi or the baby, there was no denying that all was not hunky-dory between the two. He knew the reason behind it and had fully supported Khushi, though he had tried to help Arnav also once or twice. But now looking at the scene in front of him, he came to the bitter realisation that sometimes love isn't reason enough to hold on to a toxic relationship - it's better to let go. His musings came to a halt when he heard Anjali whining.

Anjali: Khushiji you are the only one who can fill my dark world with light and get me out of my loneliness.

Khushi: Di, do you even realize what you are saying?

Anjali: Of course I do. I've been thinking about it for a while. You know how much I want to be a mother and this is the only way that it is possible for me.

Khushi: That's not true. You can always adopt a child. We visited the orphanage together last week and you saw how many children out there are in need of a family?

Anjali: Blood is thicker than water Khushiji. Maybe that's why I didn't feel anything towards any of them. Since you insisted, I gave it a shot but that chapter is closed for me.

Khushi: It was such a short visit and you spent most of the time talking to me. If you got to know the kids a little more you may think differently. And we left in such a rush that we didn't even visit the new-born section. Maybe your Rajkumari was in her cot waiting for you.

Anjali: None of them can be my Rajkumari. Who knows which family they belong to? My baby will be a Raizada like me.

Khushi was taken aback hearing Anjali speak like this. She was already aware of Arnav's opinion on this matter but never expected Anjali to be so narrow-minded. Anjali's rant brought her out of her shock.

Anjali: So that's why those children can never be mine. Are you even listening to me Khushiji?

Khushi: How can I stop listening to all the reasons why my child should be separated from me.

Anjali: No one is separating the child from you. She would be in the same house as you, the only difference being she would be called your niece instead of your daughter. I'm sure she will be as close to her Mama and Mami as she is to her mother. After all, you both are so special to me. She will love you as much whether she calls you Ma or Mami.

She shared a split-second eye-lock with Arnav and knew they both were thinking the same thing - the chances of them all being in the same house after today were pretty slim. Khushi also scoffed at how easily everyone had assumed her child would be a girl only - Anjali's Rajkumari. Had she been so blind to not see this coming? Well, other things took precedence now.

Khushi: And they will love you the same whether they call Ma or Bua. So why the distinction?

Anjali: Because I want the privilege to be called Ma. I want someone who is just mine. You and Chote will have another child after some time. Give this one to me.

Khushi: No one can predict the future. Who knows what destiny has written in store for us and whether or not I will have another child with Arnavji.

She saw her possessive husband Arnav flinch at this statement and very well knew the reason behind his anger. She quickly averted her eyes to avoid provoking the beast who already seemed to be on a very thin leash. As of now, they were more pressing matters at hand.

Manorama: Phati saree, can't you see how upset our Anjali betiyan is and you are troubling her more with such nonsense. Your one decision can get her out of depression.

Aakash: Yes Khushiji. We will do anything to get our cheerful Di back and I know you feel the same, so why this denial? Why are you talking about far-fetched hypothetical situations when you should be focused on the present?

Khushi sighed helplessly thinking whether she should tell them why she was so adamant. She didn't want to reveal it as yet and looked at her family thinking they will be the voice of reason. But alas! She met with disappointment and more taunts.

Garima: Khushi, how can you be so selfish?

Madhumati: At least consider what they will think about our family and values. Is this what we have taught you?

Payal: Di has always treated you like a sister and not a sister-in-law. You also say that Di and I are the same for you. Now, what happened? Was that all just talk? You can't let your upcoming motherhood overpower all your other relations.

This was the proverbial last straw that broke the camel's back. Khushi looked at her so-called family and asked Payal with a calm but cold expression.

Khushi: Then why don't you give your child to Anjaliji?

To be continued.

Do you think Payal will agree to sacrifice her happiness to ensure her sister doesn't have to do so?

Does Anjali even deserve a child?