A Contract - Again!

A contract - a daunting term which seems even more ominous in the ArShi world. As I mentioned previously, it's not the focal point of the story but a tangible reflection of Arnav and Khushi's opposing stance on a crucial matter. Unlike the initial chapters, the last few gave a clearer indication that, this time, Arnav does not intend to harm Khushi. So why did I still insist that Khushi will be hurt? That is because sometimes for long-lasting peace and happiness, a little pain and some sacrifices are inevitable.

Flashbacks continue

(This incident took place almost 2 weeks before the face-off between Khushi and Anjali)

Arnav, Khushi and NK were at AR and in the midst of a serious conversation. Arnav was trying his level best to convince Khushi about something and NK was clearly not helping.

Arnav: Jaan, please try to understand. It's just for a few years. When our baby is older, we'll move back to Shantivan. And it's not like we will never meet the family; we can fly down or get them to join us for the holidays.

Khushi: Arnavji, meeting occasionally and living together is not the same thing. Besides, in Mumbai, I will be all alone. You will go off to work and I will have no company. Here the full family is there to spend time with, to take care of me during my pregnancy and to pamper my baby once they are born.

Arnav: Ya right. Because they are the ones who've been indulging you and your cravings so far.

NK: That's been me. (Seeing Arnav's glare) And you, of course, you, Nannav mere bhai.

Arnav: I will work from home till your delivery. I've spent the last month setting things up so there will be no issues. Anyway, once our baby is here, you may forget me - so other family members don't stand a chance. Moreover, even after our little star is here, I'll work only half day - post lunch, I'll be on baby duty. And don't worry about figuring out how to make it through the initial period - we'll hire the best nannies and paediatricians to guide us.

Khushi: Arnavji, doctors and nannies can't replace the age-old wisdom we get from our family nor the love they will shower on the baby. And I want my child to be truly adored.

NK: Exactly Nannav. Things have just started to improve in the house. You should be happy but you want to move away. Everyone is so eagerly awaiting the birth of the little one that I'm sure he/she will be truly loved by each and every family member.

Arnav wanted to shout out that the changes in the house are the reason he was so keen to move out, and that too at the earliest. But he knew his concerns would once again be flagged as paranoia so he tried a different approach. He wielded the weapon which was often used against him - the emotional card.

Arnav: Khushi isn't our love enough?

Khushi: No. (Seeing him upset) I mean, I want my child to have a big, happy family where he can listen to stories from his grandparents, play with his cousins, and run to his aunt and uncles to get saved from our scolding. We both for various reasons haven't had the best childhood and I don't want to deprive my baby of the same.

Arnav: OUR baby will have a loving childhood. And I'm not saying to move forever - just a few years. By the time our baby is old enough to do any of the things you mentioned, we will be back.

Khushi (almost as a whisper): What if it is too late by then?

Arnav: Late for what?

Khushi: For the family to bond with my baby. What if they always just see him or her as someone who now lives with them but is not truly a part of the family? And what if, God forbid, something happens to us and they start considering the baby as nothing but a burden?