An Angry NK

This chapter is also in the form of a flashback (as explained in the previous chapter). It will give an insight to both Arnav and Khushi's notions and reasonings leading up the showdown.

Flashbacks Continue

Arnav saw his watch and regretted that he had got delayed at work. Nowadays he avoided staying back in office longer than necessary but today was an unfortunate exception. He had set certain plans in motion for the future and the strategies finalized today were crucial for it. To pacify his wife, he had already made arrangements - freshly cooked low-sugar jalebis from her favourite shop at Chandni Chowk. Aman surely deserved a raise for ensuring that not only did the jalebis reach him just as he was about to enter the gates of Raizada Mansion, but they were piping hot. He was confident his wife could never resist jalebis. Well, as they say, never say never.

Khushi: Arnavji, take those jalebis away from me. They are not good for the baby's health.

Arnav couldn't believe what he had heard. He stared at NK who shrugged helplessly. Khushi had informed him that NK and she would be watching a Salman Khan movie while he was at work. As much as he detested his wife drooling over that shirtless actor, he was relieved that she would be distracted till the time he got home. That's one of the reasons he was positive that she would pounce on the jalebis. For Khushi, there was no better way to watch a Salman Khan movie than with a bowlful of jalebi. If it's a sad ending, then jalebis would cheer her up and if it's a happy one, she could celebrate with her favourite sweets. Although he didn't understand it, he knew her craze for this dessert. With this in mind, he gave her a look asking her to explain her statement.

Khushi: Arnavji, because of your diabetes I should be careful about my diet. No jalebis for me. I'll eat this sugar-free kheer that Di has prepared.

It was then that he noticed the untouched bowl of kheer. He should have been happy that his sister was showing so much affection towards his wife and child but he was sure that this was not a benevolent act. He was guilty of jumping to conclusions in the past so first needed to gather some facts.

Arnav: Khushi, did you mention to her that the nutritionist you are referring to is one of the leading experts in gestational diabetes? She has consulted with your gynaecologist along with our family doctor before preparing your meal plan and gives weekly amendments depending on your reports.

Khushi: Yes Arnavji. But Di said the doctors don't know everything or may have overlooked some points. Others can be negligent but a mother has to be constantly vigilant. Di said to avoid dining out and eat only homemade food. She also reminded me that during her pregnancy I only cooked the meals as per Nani's instructions. So I already know what is good to eat and can just follow that. I can't put my baby at risk and you also should stop take such chances unnecessarily. No more lunch or dinner dates nor getting food from out. And before I forget, cancel the babymoon too. We need to be careful at every stage of the pregnancy.

NK who was usually the first to side Khushi in any debate against Arnav, was miffed listening to her. She didn't realize that along with unfairly writing off the accomplished doctors, she had unintentionally called Arnav also negligent. He knew that one of Arnav's biggest fears was turning out to be like his father, and not be a good dad to his child. To avoid any possibility of that happening, Arnav worked extra hard at being the ideal father.

After ensuring financial security, he had looked up the areas that needed to be addressed at each stage of pregnancy. The various prenatal classes expectant parents should attend, the kind of literature that would help them and other such requirements were well studied by Arnav and Khushi was privy to this information.