Chapter 27 - Nights Like These

The days passed on quicker than normal. Briar would spend most of her time in the room of requirement studying the stones beside Tom. Sometimes he was kind, other times she'd leave close to tears when he'd make remarks about her stupidity or behaviour. As she observed him from the chair, she hoped he would be in a good mood today. "Need any help?" she asked.

"Yes actually, start browsing through this book and marking any pages you think to be of importance," he said handing an old book to her mindlessly.

She did as he asked. The book didn't have much, she mark some pages about Centaurs and faeries, but that was all. "We still need to investigate the mushrooms in Hogsmeade," Briar said as she handed the book back to Tom.

"For Merlin's sake Emeralds. I can't do six things at once. If it matters that much to you then go do it yourself."

"I just thought-" she began.

"You thought what? I don't need your help. I can do this on my own. Once I discover what these stones are they could help my cause greatly," he said frantically jotting something down in his journal.

"They belong to me Riddle. Not you. I decide what happens to them."

"I own you Emeralds. Unless you want the world to find out what your really are, what I say goes."

"Your obsession with power is disgusting," she spat. He closed his book and looked up to her.

"If I disgust you so much Emeralds then leave, but you won't, will you? Because it's no secret you desire nothing more than for our lips to meet again," he hissed. Briar rolled her eyes at him and ignored his harsh words. She wanted to deny it, but a small part of her told her he spoke the truth. She despised him though, she was sure of that. So why did she feel something still when he would gaze into her eyes? Even if he was telling her off.

She began to walk around the room inspecting some of the other objects around them. Tom went back to his research ignoring the sounds of her picking up and putting down items.

She peered round the corner of a large cabinet and observed Tom. He had closed his book on magical creatures and was reading the same dirty book he'd been carrying around for months. A book about dark magic.

She returned to him slowly. "Why do you always read that book?" she asked.

"If I tell you, you will be even more disgusted. Go find a hair comb or something and leave me work," he said shooing her off.

Her patience with the boy was at an end. "If you won't tell me, I'll just take it then," she said leaning over him and snatching it out of his hand.

"No! Briar!" He protested trying to get it back quickly.

"Horcruxes?" Briar said anxiously as her eyes absorbed the text. "Are you insane Tom Riddle?! I hope you're not considering making one of these."

"And what if I am?" he asked raising an eyebrow at her.

"Why would you want this?" she asked pointing at the list of side effects and the effort it would take to make one.

"To defy death of course," he answered plainly.

"You have no idea what you're dealing with Riddle. I have immortality, it's not something to lust after. It's not some glamorous thing that will solve all your problems. It's a nightmare. A dark consuming nightmare and trust me if you go through with this you will be forced to pay the price every single day of your never ending life." She slammed the book into his chest and ran out of the room.

The more time she spent with him, the more she was seeing how truly dark he was. She used to see him as a lonely boy burdened by the actions of his parents, similar to her in a way. But now she was wondering if he has passed the point of no return, or if that point even existed to begin with.