Chapter 21 - Second to Riddle

Casper,

I ask for your word in not sharing the contents of this letter with anyone else.
What do you know of bone like structures growing out of backs? It was Christmas night when I saw the strangest things extending out of Emerald's upper back. Almost as if extra bones had once been there but they were broken off? I ask you do your best in assisting me to gather information on this. I want to know what they are and why they are there. I will be arriving at Avery manor tomorrow, I expect a full report on what you have found.

Tom Riddle

_____

Briar gathered her things and headed down to the castle gates to meet Tom and Dumbledore. Tom was always standing there, looking as well put together as always, Dumbledore stood beside him.

Albus spoke, "Miss Emeralds, Mr Riddle, I ask you take great care and caution whilst travelling to the Avery manor. With Grindelwald's men spread out everywhere, no where is safe."

"We will take great caution, and I will watch over Emerald's and offer her my protection if needed." Tom spoke elegantly, a facade he had mastered with all the teachers.

Briar was furious. Him, take care of her? Please. Was it not her that saved him in Diagon Alley from Grindelwald's men? She didn't need his protection, she never would. "I am fully capable of taking care of myself."

"I do not doubt it for a second Briar. Take care and be back before term begins," Dumbledore said.

As they boarded the carriage, Briar thought she would make Albus aware she knew of his dismissal of the poisonous mushrooms. "Professor, before we go I would just like to say, that if you are so concerned with Grindelwald's plans then maybe you should not ignore your brother's request for help in Hogsmeade." And before he had the chance to reply anything, she slammed the door shut and the carriage took off.

"What?" Briar asked as Tom sat opposite her staring.

"I didn't know you knew Aberforth."

"I didn't know you did either, so what's the point you make?" she said harshly.

"Why do you know him?" he questioned.

"Why do you?" she shot back quickly.

"I know of him, but I do not know him personally."

"I met him for the first time on Christmas," she confessed. Tom didn't reply he just stared at her silently.

"What are you wearing tonight?" he asked out of the blue.

"Bit random Riddle. Why does it matter?"

"Because it is my understanding Avery intends to introduce you to his parents, first impressions count, especially if he wishes for you to be his wife."

"He wishes no such things!" Tom's behaviour was getting to Briar. She wanted to hex him so he stayed silent the rest of the trip.

"I'm afraid he does Mrs Briar Avery."

"Riddle, I will throw you out of the carriage do not think for a second I would hesitate!"

"Oh but you would darling. Buying me gifts and staring at me with your jewel like eyes. I think you would most definitely hesitate."