13. field of dreams

Start from the beginning

"ricky! what on earth are you doing?! you almost frightened me to death!" she exclaimed heavily, tucking a loose strand of her hair behind her ear

the boy stood upright to be taller than her once more, raising his eyebrows in amuse when he saw the girl

"what are you doing all the way here?" he asked interested, folding his arms

nini opened her mouth in disbelief "me?! what about you and crawling through the bushes! you know, that's not exactly 'rule-following' style if you asked me."

ricky cleared his throat and stiffened for just a second before forcing himself to brush it off

"it's-um-i-the path i take was blocked. so,"

nini raised her eyebrows and shrugged her shoulders "alright then," she said simply, turning away as ricky followed her into the clearing and towards the willow tree

"so, what are you doing here then?" he asked "thought you'd be learning new things about being a normal girl in your room or something."

nini giggled "i finished that book last night, for your information." she told him as she sat down back in her spot, looking up at ricky "you can sit you know?"

ricky bit the inside of his cheek "well, actually i have to get started on those foods los wanted me to bring to the party tomorrow."

"oh come on," she sighed with a light grin "resting that smart, organized brain of yours for just a moment won't hurt you."

ricky glanced between the erica's café and the brunette girl sitting down against the trunk of of the willow tree before he took a deep breath and sat down on the grass

"perfect!" nini beamed, clapping her hands together as ricky shook his head with a small smile

"you're impossible." he told her, picking at the grass as the brunette chuckled

"come on ricky," she teased "you know you love to spend time with your partner in crime!"

ricky winces "i really wish you'd stop using that term...my mind is making up all sorts of scenarios where it ends up with both of us in jail."

another heartfelt laugh escaped the girl as ricky watched her, mesmerized by the sound of her laugh. it was a unique and cute sound that somehow made you instantly smile even when you didn't have or need a reason to.

"wouldn't that be interesting?" the girl sighed, catching his attention "princess, soon to be queen of autonia, imprisoned in salt lake city jail with teenage accomplice." she thought out loud "now that'd be an adventure."

ricky shook his head with a light laugh "you and i have a very different visions of adventures."

"okay mr chef," nini said interested as she adjusted herself to face him properly "what's your dream adventure?"

he looked at her with his eyebrows raised in slight confusion "what do you mean?"

nini shrugged her shoulders "like, your hopes and dreams. what do you want to do?"

ricky felt flustered and smiled sheepishly, looking down "oh...no-it's-it's stupid."

"come on!" she urged as she lightly shoved his shoulder "tell me,"

"it's not very interesting." he reminded her "it's-sort of stupid."

nini shook her head "if it's something that makes you happy and what you want, then i'm certain that it's not stupid."

ricky looked up at her and their gazes locked for the couple seconds before he took a deep breath

"okay-um-it's not...huge," he began "but...i want a bakery. kind of like erica's, you know? maybe it'll be here or somewhere else, but, i know that it's what i want for me..."

nini smiled warmly at the boy "that's not stupid. and for the record, i find it extremely fascinating." she said genuinely

ricky glanced back at her "really?"

the girl nodded, excitement overtaking her as she jumped "you could call the bakery a cute little name and it would have like a sign at the top hanging against her bricks. oh! and there would also be a bell every time someone comes in or leaves."

ricky chuckled softly as he nodded "yeah, i guess so."

nini smiled softly as she thought of her own sort of dream that she had in mind; the truth is she had no idea. she always wondered and imagined about different scenarios of her life if she didn't have to become queen. but she also knew deep down that all of it was just a fantasy, it could never be real.

"what about you?" ricky asked her

the girl gave him a look "you know that my life is already planned till the very last second right?"

ricky nodded with a breathy laugh "okay, but don't tell me you haven't thought about it."

nini bit the bottom of her lip as she tried to fight a small smile but it still managed to creep its way onto her face

"okay," she breathed excitedly "i want to travel the world."

ricky raised his eyebrows "oh really?"

nini nodded brightly "i've always been able to read maps and that's how i could see the world since i couldn't ever see anything outside of the castle... and-i'd want to see it all in person. every sight and every view right in front of me."

ricky smiled at her "that's a good dream." he said quietly

the brunette girl nodded "it's too bad it'll never come true though," she whispered

ricky kept his gaze on her as she looked back at him, the boy's eyes searching her face for moments before he took a deep breath

"um..." he swallowed and shuffled around for his bag as he slowly stood up "i should get to the café and get those pastries started,"

nini exhaled slowly as she nodded "right! let's go," she said, shaking her head slowly to move away her thoughts as she stood up with her bag and phone in hand

ricky looked at her "you don't have to come with me. you can stay out here longer if you want..."

"oh no!" the girl shook her head "i want to come and see the ratatouille ricky in action." she smirked

ricky shook his head with a sigh as the two started making their way down the field "i really wish you would stop with that nickname."

"never, ratatouille ricky."

"okay, princess."