I Will Stay (So the Lantern In Your Heart Won't Fade)

Hey hey! 

This fic was inspired by one of my absolute favorite songs, "Guillotine" by Jon Bellion. It's also where I got the title from, and I highly recommend you give it a listen! :D

This is mostly angst with a happy ending, but also be warned that it begins with a nightmare and sorta centers around it the rest of the fic- read safe :) 

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoy! If you have any Snowbaz oneshot ideas, feel free to comment about what I could write! Or comment just to say hi! Have a great day/night!

Bye :)

"and if you have nightmares, we'll dance on the bed

I know that you love me, love me,

even when I lose my head, guillotine"

BAZ POV

The Humdrum is a young, small boy.

The Humdrum is Simon Snow.

The Humdrum is Simon Snow as a young, small boy.

The Simon Snow. (My Simon Snow.) The Chosen One. (My Chosen One.)

I'm falling backwards. The back of my head hits a tree trunk as I attempt to scramble out of sight, filling the air with the scent of blood.

I know this dream. I know this replay- any second now, the family estate will light up like the tip-top of a matchstick.

All I see, turning 360s, is fire.

I tell Simon to go, leave, run.

The dream skips ahead to scene two.

"On love's light wings!" I sing out. At the top of the tower, Simon kneels beside his younger counterpart. The Humdrum looks every bit like an aggravating magickal tear in the universe, but also every bit like the kid the Crucible tied to me eight years ago.

Holding the Humdrum by the shoulders, Simon gives up his magic, his lifeline, and I watch from the corner, clinging to Bunce like I need to be thrown one of my own.

Endlessly power hungry, the Mage continues to claw at Simon, and I feel the room flash forward, my vision swirling as I approach them.

This isn't how it happened. What am I doing? Had my dreams ever veered off reality's course before...?

I put myself between Simon and the Mage, still trying not to outwardly attack the man I now hate more than ever.

Next to me, the Humdrum slips through the air, taking that gut-churning, sickly-sweet feeling with him.

I reach out to Simon. "You did it..."

In the space where the defeated just was, a nondescript void opens, lurking in the room.