10. First Date - Part One

Engaged to a Stranger © 2015 by Nique Joaquin. All rights reserved. 

———

I had never had a kiss before.

Never.

In my 18 years of existence, this would be my first... I had to really hold back on this kiss. I was playing fake sleeping. So I let him... and I know... This event has totally ruined the whole back-away-he-has-a-girlfriend thing... But...

I don't know...

It just felt... like it meant something. Or maybe that's just me trying to make my first kiss actually be something.

I didn't even know if Lawrence and Mr.A/Klein were the same person... But the soft whisper of a kiss he gave me made my heart almost lurch straight up out of my chest... and even though I knew he was taken, I didn't feel the urge to push him away. I let him stay there for the few seconds that he rested his lips on mine.

God, I've only known him for a week... I thought to myself.

I felt Lawrence pull away and sigh, and a sad and lonely feeling, already, blooms in my chest.

"I'm such an idiot..." I heard him mutter- it was almost inaudible.

I'm reeling.

I feel an uncomfortable pang in my chest and a maelstrom of emotions hit me hard. So many thoughts gathered in my brain. My mind was going all over the place. Was Lawrence actually Klein? Was Daisy his sister like Keaton tried to tell me? How does Keaton know? I thought to myself. My eyes were still shut, and Lawrence was still seated beside me. I fought the urge to ask the questions out loud... But the effort in trying to fake this 'black out' was already making my brain tired... and without even noticing...

I fainted for real.

How do I know that?

I somehow magically poofed into my own bedroom with my own blankets over me. It was already morning and when I checked my phone, I had to practically make a run for the bathroom. I hardly felt like getting ready. So I pulled on a bright teal sweater, a pair of jeans, some type of fancy white sneakers with a silver-tipped design, my plain glasses, and what I know to be a Louis Vuitton backpack- but it was the fastest thing I could grab.

Hair? Okay. Clothes? Check. Bag? Uh... I frantically shoved my things into my bag. The book I needed for my English lecture, my iPad, a notebook, a few pens, etc... I had tried to dress as modest as possible today. I took a quick look at myself in the mirror. I put on a bit of mascara and pulled my hair into a really quick braid before I made a run for the kitchen. Lawrence was already there, but I had no time to really react to his presence- despite the fact that that happened last night.

"Morning." Lawrence greeted, nonchalantly if I may add, he was sipping on a mug of what I think is coffee.

"Morning." I said fast as I walked and grabbed a piece of bread off of the table and put it to my mouth. I opened one of the cupboards and placed a tablet into the coffee machine.

I put the tumbler underneath it and pressed the button for my coffee.

"Whoa, slow down." Lawrence says with a smirk, I look at him and grin as I took the bread out of my mouth to chew and swallow.

"If I slow down, I will inevitably be late." I point out before grabbing my tumbler of coffee, sealing it, and then finishing off the bread in my mouth. "I gotta go." I say with a smile.

"Really don't want breakfast?" He asks. "You didn't even eat dinner last night."

"I'll be fine. We can talk about my wonderful fall later. I've seriously gotta run." I say and Lawrence chuckles before I run off and catch him winking at me. Uh...?