Chapter 35

As plans went, this one wasn't much, but if it worked then he would hardly be complaining. He would feel bad about betraying Shimon, but he wasn't going to risk his neck in a rope because he felt responsible for the Sergeant. He had a family after all, and he had a larger responsibility for them. Hell, Shimon seemed the type to pull the lever himself, out of a sense of principal.

-There's an unpleasant thought-

Ulrich grimaced, picturing the dutiful regret on Shimon's face as he did his job. Terrifying.

At least the kid couldn't be blamed for this, he was unconscious for all to see. Maybe they should rob him on the way out, leave nobody in any doubt about him not being involved, just to be safe...but he had nothing to take.

Ulrich hoped he would be alright, the magic he had used to heal the man was so intimate that he could almost feel the Watchman's hurts in his own bones. Something his Father had never mentioned, but no bad thing.

He needed to feel like that, it hammered home the cost of using such magic. He sighed. He had done the right thing, but the cost would weigh on him for weeks yet. In the meantime, he had more pressing problems.

"Be careful out there, he's very aware of his surroundings, not an easy mark-" Ulrich whispered intently.

"Gods, do you think this is my first time?" Tal said too loudly, too bloody arrogantly.

Cocky thieves got beatings; if they were lucky. It taught them caution. Either she had an extraordinarily thick skull; not completely out of the question, or she was as amateur as he feared. He needed to make her cautious without pushing her to true stupidity. He gave her a measured look and she stared back defiantly.

"Suma comes from a long line of ambush predators. They admire stealth more than almost anything. Just go and make him proud of you." Ulrich whispered finally, trying not to plead. She wouldn't respect pleading.

Tal looked as if she caught a snippy reply before it escaped and simply nodded. Maybe there was some hope for her after all. She scuttled off in the dark with silent feet. He hoped that was a good sign. If she couldn't steal the keys for this door, Suma was going to have to do things the noisy way. People would die, and Ulrich didn't want that on his conscience. It had been taking a beating lately as it was.

He saw his Brother's unnaturally blank face again. He saw the glee in violence that appeared to be all that remained. He saw the arrow punch through the heavy box on his back, where his lung had been a heartbeat before. Ulrich's feelings were all over the place with that; part of him would have felt relieved after seeing what kind of man Dietrich had become, but then that made him feel guilty beyond words. That was his blood, his kin, how could he think that? Nevertheless, he did...what would his Father think of his sons, if he could see them now?

-Only fools understand folly-

Somehow that oft repeated snippet of wisdom rallied a tired smirk onto his features. He wished things could be different, but it seemed Dietrich hadn't been kidnapped after all, or if he had, he was no longer a prisoner. Was it now Ulrich's responsibility to stop? Or could he walk away? Go home to the rest of his family? He truly wasn't sure what would happen if they came face to face again.

Ulrich's line of thought was broken as he heard heavy footsteps, keys a-jingling in rhythm with the sure-footed drumbeat. Light blossomed around the corner and he covered his eyes, blinded by the sudden shift from the darkness. The footsteps closed directly to the gate, a familiar form appearing from the light as his eyes adjusted. Shimon pressed his face close to the barred window in the door. Ulrich's gut wrenched. Had they been caught already?