2

"I had a friends wife from the Rez help me design the attic for you. and by that I mean she did it all and kicked me out, and my friends wife I mean Sue." Dad tell me as I hear him coming down the stairs, he had take my bags up for me and was bring something down. I was standing up burping Aiden with a towel on my shoulder. Turning I watch as dad places a Moses basket down on a stand next to the sofa. "I brought three of these. One for down here, one for you Uncle Billy's and One for my room. Just encase you need a break during the night."

Dad rubs the back of his neck looking embarrassed. "Thank you" My voice breaks slightly as my eyes begin to sting with unshed tears. I wave my hand in front of my face to let dad know I was fine. "Just no ones been this nice to me in a while. Plus left over hormones" 

Dad gives me a sad smile and takes Aiden from my arms and kisses his head before placing him in the Moses basket and pulling me in for a hug. Dad was awkward when it came to affection but never with me. I lean against him and take in his scent of Pine, beer and gunpowder. I finally let the tears fall as everything that happened in the last year comes flooding back to the surface. 

Dad moves us so we are both sat on the sofa, my head on his shoulder, arms around his neck and legs thrown over his. I wasn't sat on his lap but I might as well have been. He shushes me and take my hair band out before playing with my Aruban hair that I inherited from grandma swan. He hums the same lullaby that he always did. 

After a while my tears finally stop and relax my hold on him. I giggle when dad lifts the collar of my jumper and uses it to wipe my tears all the while commenting "Can't get snot on my uniform"

"I'm going to unpack. Watch him for me?" 

"Of course." I take the stuffed elephant from the baby bag and rest it on Aiden's tummy making him stare at in wonder like he did every time. I kiss dad's cheek before going upstairs with both bags. When I get into the attic I drop the bags in shock. 

The whole space had been re-painted in whites and dove grey. Parts of the roof had been removed and replaced with skylights letting in natural light and making the over all space bigger. The walls that had been their before had been removed and showcased the exposed support beams and made the whole place look like an open planned apartment. 

The only dividers that remained where the ones separating mine and Aiden's bed space and the bathroom. I explore and find a mini kitchenette. I couldn't cook full on meals but I could make snacks, make Aiden's bottles and make drinks so I wouldn't have to constantly go up and down the stairs. I also had a study corner with a desk and book shelf as well as a printer so I could do my school work. 

Due to my grades I was able to to half days so I only had to stay at school until lunch and then I could either go the the library, talk to teachers or go home.

I run down stairs without unpacking and lean over the back of the sofa and hug dad tightly "Thank you so much, it's beautiful." I kiss the side of his head and quickly run back up the stairs leaving a chuckling Charlie behind. 

I unpack Aiden's things first along with toiletries. Sue had been thoughtful enough to add in built in storage so the place wouldn't looked cluttered with furniture. I would have to bake a pie tomorrow as a thank you. 

It takes 2 hours to unpack everything and I make two separate lists of the things I would have to buy tomorrow. One list was for things to add to my new living space the other was for the food that Dad undoubtedly didn't have. I love my father dearly but since he couldn't cook to save his life he never saw the need to get decent food.

I set up my laptop and label printer along with the rest of the stuff I used for my business. I was running low on certain things so I quickly use my phone to order them while my laptop continues to load.