41

[01 October]

OUR HONEYMOON WAS EIGHT days, because it was what was said to be the most appropriate for us. So, it was eight days.

We got to the lake house just after 4pm with the black Jeep Connie had kindly lent. The journey had been jungle and forest, tree and bark. Driving through vegetation, sometimes in silence, sometimes in indulgence. I was happy, being with him, Carlos, my husband.

I imagined what was coming to be remarkably extraordinary. The perfect honeymoon. Like the ones I had witnessed on TV a few times to just feel like I knew something about fancy weddings and marriages.

I had never felt such confusion. Of course, pictures deceived, but those ones of that 'Honeymoon habitat' had over-deceived. There were no trees in the pictures; by the real thing, there were trees everywhere. There was no mention of potential animals in the property information; in the real thing, as we had pulled up onto the rocks, we heard grumbles coming from the trees.

 There was no mention of potential animals in the property information; in the real thing, as we had pulled up onto the rocks, we heard grumbles coming from the trees

That wasn't the worst part. It was confirmed. There were animals lurking nearby, according to the property owner. He had laughed at that. We had stared at him, baffled. What if he had just led us into a lion's den?

And now, he told us about a major power cut. He laughed again, and said a joke that needed no one to laugh at. We stared again, baffled. When he fell silent, studying us, I let the disappointment out with a sigh. "No lights?" I inquired regretfully.

The owner bobbed his head and scratched his hairless scalp oddly. "But I have these candles, eh." He assured me this while leading Carlos and me to the narrow island in the kitchenette. "It won't be too bad, eh, I mean you said you he'e to spice the bugger up, heh?" He looked at Carlos and winked.

Carlos coughed awkwardly while gazing down at me. I frowned at him.

"It's our honeymoon," pronounced Carlos gravely, turning back to the owner. "Can't you just try to make a plan for us?"

The man shook his head and rested a large, hairy hand on the counter. "Come on," he soothed. "I think this place looky better when there ain't any lights!"

Carlos peeked at me in a way of asking if I was still on board with staying.

I wasn't on board. I was ready to leave, to demand our money back from this man. But I thought again. Thought this was the only chance I could spend with my husband, alone.

With that thought came a nod. And Carlos inquired about water.

"No hot water in the shower" the man said. "But, Jacuzzi, always warm."

Carlos and I huffed in frustration at the same time, but minutes after that, the owner was handing us the keys for the front door.

"Stay safe," he alleged, trudging heavily down the timber stairs on the porch. "And remember: always keep doors shut at night." His eyes darkened as he smiled sinisterly, then he disappeared.