40

I HAD ALWAYS THOUGHT it odd how mama and father had piled up names for me when I was a child. Niraaj Thandile Vimbainashe Marisa. I had asked about it once. They hadn't had a proper reason. Just the fact that each name had a beautiful meaning behind it. Niraaj, though, they had just liked it. So, I never knew its meaning. Thandile, on the other hand, meant being loved. Vimbainashe meant trust in the Lord.

I treasured Vimbainashe, almost as much as mama. Unfortunately, it wasn't actually the first name taken down on my birth certificate. Despite this, mama still called me Vimbai whenever calling me using a legal label.

Details aside. Now, I was legally adding one more name, one more surname, to my existence. Parker.

I was anxious. No - I was very anxious. Excited, maybe. Resolute, definitely. The events preceding the wedding fleeted past as if afraid to linger by me. All wedding preparations. The engagement ceremony. The bachelorettes party; the rehearsal dinner... It had all been a swift blur, which I only treasured through staring at the pictures that had been captured unknowingly on the last night of my legal singleness.

Now, it was the day of the wedding. The 30th of September. Growing up, I had always envisioned myself having a pure white wedding, walking down the aisle of a colossal African chapel. I had pictured benches crammed with loud relatives and ululating friends, and my cutest younger cousins garnishing my way with petals...

I got really carried away by my future in the past. And now today, I had uncertainty buzzing all over my mind all because of that. I was having cold feet. I was homesick. I was doubting my decision. I was anxious, pessimistic, and glum. If I had been alone, with no friends at all, who knows if I would have crawled out a window and run away – that was how bad it was.

"You can't back down now, love," I was told. "Do you really think God has brought you all this way with your man so that you can just tap out, or feel so inclined to withdrawing that you call off everything?"

I let out a sigh. "No," I said.

No, I wasn't running away from anything. This matrimony was going to happen, whether I was ready or not. My support system made sure of that. They moved my soul to calmer atmospheres. Telling me to breath. Cajoling me with all the good things that would come out of this marriage. Maybe they had seen that deep down, Niraaj longed for this to happen. Which was why I found myself assertively giving myself my own way...

...So there I was, clothed in the most gorgeous nude and black robe I'd ever seen...

Striding steadily up the aisle towards the bright light of the sun, where the alter – and my to-be husband – was situated

...Striding steadily up the aisle towards the bright light of the sun, where the alter – and my to-be husband – was situated. After me was my robe licking the carpet after confident raised me. Meanwhile, I was terrified. Daunted by the high wedged heels they couldn't see or hear. I prayed I wouldn't trip.

But... I did trip. I tripped like a fricken fool when climbing up the alter.

Oh, what a great way to start off your wedding...