The Assignment

This was originally written in the fall of 2002 just after I graduated high school and four years before I began my own student teaching experience. It was never finished. I am going to change that. I found my old notes and suddenly have the desire to complete this. This was originally posted on FF.net. I'm editing as I go through this old tale again, but I have no intent on changing anything. I consider it a historical record. lol

Disclaimer: Boy Meets World is the creation of Michael Jacob and April Kelly. Audrey is mine.

____________________________________________________________________________

"Are you sure you want me to be the cooperating teacher, George?" JonathaI
n Turner shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "I mean, this is only my second year here. Isn't there someone more qualified for this?"

George Feeny clasped his hands in front of him and leaned forward on his desk. "Perhaps," he said seriously. "But according to the handbook the cooperating teacher must be someone who is committed to life-long learning, recognized as an expert in their subject matter, has skill in effective classroom management techniques, strong oral and written communication skills, excellent human relations skills, and a desire, willingness, and ability to work cooperatively with colleagues and student teachers. In the last year, Mr. Turner, you have proven that you are a capable teacher. I believe that you are as qualified for this as any other teacher here."

"I'm flattered, really. But I think I fail in one major area," Jonathan countered.

"Where's that?"

"I don't have that desire or willingness to work with a student teacher. I have enough trouble keeping the kids interested in literature- I don't need some know-it-all punk student teacher to contend with as well. They're cocky and walk around with a chip on their shoulder constantly. I should know..." he said somewhat sheepishly. "I was one."

Feeny raised an eyebrow. "I see," he paused a beat. "Well, you've convinced me, Jonathan."

He watched the relief spread over the young teacher's face who thought he was getting out of overseeing the internship. With a slightly wicked smile he finished, "You're the perfect teacher for the job."

"You can't be serious," Jonathan groaned in dismay.

"Oh, but I am. Her name is Audrey Andrews. You have a meeting with her after school on Friday." With that, the principal began to rearrange some papers and folders on his desk, ending the meeting.

"Great," the English Lit teacher sighed. "There goes the year."