1

America stood with his brother at their lockers, feeling the uncomfortable prickling feeling of someone staring at him. Finally unable to bear it, he turned on his heel.

"What the hell are you looking at?" America growled, rubbing his neck. Russia looked on, saying nothing. "Are you stupid, or what? I'm talking to you."

"Nothing," he growled, and then under his breath, "Stuid дебил."

Unfortunately, America heard that. "What did you say? You fucking commie. Bet you wouldn't say that to my face."

"Stupid дебил." He repeated silently, tilting their head up slightly in a challenge.

America strode forward, but Canada pulled him back. "Don't," he warned.

America pulled his arm out of his brother's grasp and clocked Russia in his face. He didn't wince, instead staring at the other country coldly while bringing his hand up to his face to check for injuries.

The Russian bent down slightly so that his face was on level with America's, and then knocked America down with a kick to his legs.

America fell backwards down onto the ground, while Russia watched, smirking at him and fuelling the rage burning through the American.

"Fucking son of a bitch," America snarled, tackling Russia's feet just as a teacher turned the corner.

"Both of you. Headmaster's office. Now!" The teacher barked, breaking up the small scuffle. They trudged off in the direction of the office, shoving and glaring at each other on the way there.

"Russia, America. The first day of school. And you have to start a fight?" UN muttered disapprovingly. He sighed, pinching his nose bridge. "I'm putting you two in the same dorm." He looked up at the two. "Don't try to change my mind. You two are dismissed."

"Sir, I promise this won't happen-" America started. "Yes, make sure it doesn't happen again. Both of you, out now." UN cut off, glowering at America. "Go on, get going now."

America was the first to leave, trudging out and closing the door loudly behind him. Canada was waiting for him outside the room. "I'm getting put into the same dorm as that damn asshole." He complained. Canada nodded. "I know, they just updated the list. Ukraine's gonna be staying in my dorm in place of you."

"Looks like both of us are going to have to stay with the commies, then." America said. "I don't think they're that bad. Why don't you give them another chance? You used to be friends with Russia a few years ago, remember?" Canada brought up.

"Don't remind me," America hissed, flinching before he stormed off, shouldering his bag. Canada looked helplessly after his twin brother as Russia exited from the office, looking virtually unbothered.

"Hey, uh, Russia, right?" Canada asked. "Mhmm," Russia replied. "I'm sorry for how my brother's acting... and how he'll act towards you as a roommate. He can be a handful sometimes." Canada admitted.

"No problem." Russia replied. "I can't be bothered, anyway."

Russia sat on his bed, surveying his room. He could hear America talking to one of his friends in his own room, and he sighed, setting up his desk. He probably shouldn't have reacted to America in the first place. Now he was stuck in the same dorm as a person that hated his guts for the rest of his college life.

"Christ," he muttered, taking off his ushanka and placing it onto his desk. "What am I going to do?"

He stood up and left his room to sit on the couch. He flicked through the different channels until he came across a programme in Russian. He wasn't really paying attention, rather, he was letting it play in the background while he mused over the classes he was going to take in the following days.

He was staring blankly at the television when America emerged from his room, standing a few metres away from where Russia was seated with his arms akimbo. "This is all your fault."

"Mm," Russia hummed, not in a mood to argue. "Okay." America tsked before grabbing his jacket and leaving the dorm.

Russia frowned and went over America's words. Perhaps it really was his fault. He didn't have to start the argument that ended their childhood friendship. No point in thinking about it anyways. You're here to study, so do that. Chances are, you'll never have to work with America again when you graduate, he thought, in a voice eerily similar to his father's.

"О, отец (Oh, father)," Russia exhaled, turning his attention back to the screen. But Germany's father broke the pact between him and my father, didn't he? But we're still friends, and we were friends during the war too, even though our family was fighting his. And it was WWII, when millions of people died.

This is confusing, Russia groaned. Maybe I can make it up to him? Would it be a good idea? He rubbed his face with his hands and picked his phone up. At the top of his notifications was a message from Germany.

< Hey
< Saw you got put in a dorm with Ame
< Don't kill each other lmfao

Russia chuckled.

Not interested in killing him >
He might kill me in my sleep tho >

< Praying for your safety 😔

Thanks >

< Seriously tho don't attack him like you did just now

You saw us? >

< Nah, word gets around quick

Oh lmao, ok >
Probably shouldn't have done that ngl >
Now I'm stuck in the same dorm as him for the rest of our college life >

< He's not that bad dw
< He's just holding a grudge against you

That's the thing, he hates me >

< He'll forgive you eventually
< See this as an opportunity

Idk >

Russia switched his phone and the television off, thinking a walk would be good. He looked at his jacket before deciding against it. He was used to the cold, and it hadn't started to snow yet.

He took a stroll in the campus's garden, appreciating the fresh air and the flora it provided. The afternoon sky was a gentle blue and the leaves of most of the trees had started to turn a beautiful shade of red-gold, marking the start of autumn. The rest who kept their leaves would continue to stay green throughout the approaching winter.

Russia found a bench and sat on it, admiring nature. The peace and the weather combined almost let him forget his problems and focus on the present. His problems could never truly leave until he fixed them, but for now, letting them sit all the way at the back of his head was good enough.