28

Ellie's POV

I've been staying at Daniel's for the past week. I can't see Emily and think everything is okay. Kelsey has been texting me nonstop and I haven't answered her. I don't feel like talking to anyone.

I closed my locker before home room and see Chase. I sighed. "Have you thought about it?" He asked

"I said no" I told him, holding books up against my chest. He stepped closer, making me feel more uncomfortable. I could feel his breath on my skin.

I took a step back and saw someone gently pull him away. "Chase, we have a football meeting" I heard Vinnie say.

"He knows I signed up already"

"You have to be there" Chase sighs and walks away. Vinnie stayed there and I turned to walk away.

"Did he touch or you or something?" I ignored him and kept walking. "It's a simple question, Ellie" He pulls my arm back and I move quickly.

"What!" I snapped at him.

"I just want to know-"

"Why do you care?" I asked him

"I'm just asking" He says, looking at me. Silence fills the air. "At dinner-"

"Don't even bring it up" I cut him off.

"I want to know if you're okay"

"Anything else?" I asked him

"No" I nodded and walked away. I looked to my side and saw Evan holding hands with a girl called Jen. I kept walking until I got to home room.

"You're a life saver" Evan said from beside me. "What?"

"I've been asking Jen out for months and she said yes because she was jealous of us for some reason" I laughed to myself.

"Glad I could help"

Daniel and I lay on his bed after school, face to face. "So" He starts. "How do you feel?"

"Okay, you?"

"Fine, I guess" He mumbled. "Do you miss Vinnie?"It's been a month and a half since we broke up.

"Yeah" I frowned. "I wish I didn't"

"Why?" He asks, furrowing his brow. "It's normal to be sad after a breakup Ellie" it doesn't feel real. I got so used to his random texts and our weird conversations. Or us cuddling...

"I know" I mumbled. "I just didn't want it to happen"

"You liking him? Or.."

"Me liking someone so much that I care that they hurt me" I told him. "I never wanted to get that close to Vinnie a-and let him know me. I knew I would fuck up and he'd move on" Daniel's eyes softened.

"Ellie, it wasn't all your fault"

"If I just stopped-"

"Ellie, stop" Daniel widened his eyes. "You fucked up, he fucked up. He's playing the 'oh I can get any girl I want' card. In a month, you'll be back to your secret relationship"

"He moved on, if you can't already tell" my heart sinks and I bite my lip.

"For five seconds can you show me that you're sad. You look like you want to cry but you won't let yourself"

"I don't want to seem like I care"

"Like he's gonna know"

"I miss him" I whispered to Daniel

"I know" Daniel pulled me into him and stroked my hair.

Vinnie's POV

I lay on my bed and ran my hand through my hair. My sheets smell like Ellie and so do the pillowcases.

I miss her so fucking much

I miss her comments about people, I miss her laugh, her smile, the crinkles that form on her lips when she's smiling. I miss how soft her lips were. I just miss Ellie. I had it coming.

And to top it off, I made her hate me more by holding hands with someone else in front of her. Chloe was asking me why I didn't want to kiss her or touch her. I was blunt and told her that I liked someone else. But now, Ellie is with Evan.

"Vinnie" I heard my mom at the other side of my door. "I was thinking you should ask Ellie over for dinner so we can meet her" My stomach turned. "What's wrong?"

"I" I paused. "I broke up with her"

"Are you fucking serious?" I never heard my mom yell. "Vinnie, what the hell?"

"I fucked up!"

"You don't get to yell!" She shouted back at me. "For once I wanted you to meet a nice girl who you actually care about"

"I know"

"Then don't you go get her back somehow? If I were her I would beat you"

"She's with someone else. She doesn't want me"

"Vinnie, I love you but stop moping around when you can do something to fix it. Now go think about what you can do to win her back so I can meet her"