20⭐ Radio Silence

20⭐ Radio Silence

Thursday, January 13.

I called Manny as I walked away from the clinic.

He picked up.

"Hey... what's up?" He asked, sounding confused.

"I'm really sorry for earlier when I bailed on you. I completely forgot about the thing I had to do, but I took care of it... and I could make it to the 7 o'clock showing if you're still up for it."

"Oh," Manny said simply. He was silent for a moment. "I'm sorry. All of us went to the 5 showing." When he stopped talking, I could faintly hear explosions and shouting in the background.

"I see. Next time then," I said finally. My shoulders slumped in defeat.

"Definitely... how about this? Triple check your calendar and make sure you're not doing anything on Sunday, okay?"

"Okay. Sounds good," I said.

"Perfect, I'll talk to you later about details?"

"Mhm." I swallowed the lump that began forming in my throat.

"Well, alright. Bye then."

"Bye," I said with a thin grimace. My hand dropped when Manny ended the call.

How embarrassing. What was I thinking?

I let out a shaky breath and ran a hand through my hair.

What now? I could stay here and wait for Beck to come pick me up or... I could walk home, and I actually have my phone this time.

I won't end up freezing on the side of the road like last time.

I pulled up the map on my phone and began walking.

I got to the apartment 20 minutes later and ran up the steps, intending to let myself in quietly. That was before I remembered my keys were sitting inside.

I cursed myself and groaned as I reached out and hit the doorbell. Why does this always happen?

The door opened and Taron stood behind it.

How nostalgic.

"Bella. I thought you wouldn't be back till later," he said with a slight question in his voice.

"I was done early," I replied slowly.

Taron nodded and moved away from the door.

My eyebrows furrowed. Is he not curious about what I was doing? I followed him through the mudroom, closing the door behind me. He walked into the kitchen and sat at the table. A few textbooks and papers were spread out across the surface.

"So..." Taron started.

Ah, here come the questions. I stood behind a chair on the opposite side of the table and curled my fingers around the top until my knuckles turned white.

"How did you get home?" he asked.

A sudden surprised laugh trickled through my lips.

"That's... not what I was expecting you to ask," I said, loosening my vice like grip on the chair.

Taron gave me a funny look.

"What do you mean?"

I hesitated. Did he already know what I was doing? Had Beck told him?

"Do you know where I was?"

"No," he replied, "but it's not really any of my business, is it?"

"I guess not," I replied and sat down on the chair I was standing behind.