Chapter 2 - The Maw

Beginne am Anfang

"Wake me up when we get somewhere."

"Um... alright."

Mono kept watch, staring out intently into the ocean for any sign of land in the distance. But, as usual, all that would be presented to him was a stretch of blue that went on for miles. He stared up into the sky for what felt like ages until he felt something wet hit his nose.

"Is it starting to rain?"

The ocean water began to ripple suddenly as the rain began to pour down from the sky. He immediately lowered his head, holding his hand out over his head.

"Great."

Mono stumbled as the boat suddenly jolted upward, regaining his footing as he almost fell backward. Six almost immediately woke up from her nap, getting onto her feet and pulling her hood up. The boat began to shake as the two held their hands out to their sides in an attempt to stabilize their balance.

"Storm's coming, be careful!"

Mono cupped his hands and yelled at Six, his voice barely being audible over the heavy rain. A shadow cast over the boat as the giant took out an umbrella from the suitcase and opened it, blocking the rain from getting the two wet.

"Thanks, big guy!"

Six expressed her gratitude as the giant planted the umbrella into one of the holes in the boat so they could continue rowing forward. 

"Woah!"

Mono jumped as water splashed over the boat but Six caught him as he was falling backward. She brought him to the middle of the boat, huddling up next to the giant as the storm poured harder. Six sat him down, checking him for any injuries.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm good..."

Water sloshed around the inside of the boat as they violently rocked back and forth, but the giant seemed perfectly calm, keeping the boat from turning over by carefully paddling around the waves in the water. Six seemed very nervous, keeping a firm grip on Mono and holding him in place while she maintained her balance.

"Watch out!"

Mono pointed at a huge wave that was incoming, bracing himself as it made contact with the boat, causing the boat to spin out of control. The giant quickly set one of his paddles aside and held his hand out, keeping the two in place as the boat was thrown around violently by the waves. Mono's eyes widened as he saw another wave that was headed directly toward the boat.

"Get down!"

"Oh, we are so screwed!"

Six expressed her hopelessness as she pointed out the incoming wave. This one was bigger than the others and was seconds away from smashing into the boat. The giant quickly picked up the paddle he had set down and turned the boat to the side, barely missing the wave by an inch.

"Phew... too close..." 

Mono let out a sigh of relief as the waves started to calm down before they became completely flat once again. The rain poured gently now as the situation became very tame very quickly. Just as the havoc had ceased, the giant stopped rowing the boat completely, putting the paddles on the sides of the boat. Six cautiously peered over the side of the boat, her gut instinct telling her something was wrong.

"Something's not right..."

"What do you mean?"

He got up off of the floor, standing next to Six and peering over the edge of the boat with her. Mono looked around trying to see what made her say that.