14; Long Gone Memories

Start from the beginning

"It was fine. Well, as fine as getting over a hangover can be," I joke lightly, hoping to strike a note of relatability.

I'm talking to a tough crowd today because Griffin doesn't even smirk. "As long as you're staying out of trouble. I would hate to see you making the wrong choices."

This motherfucker.

Why not outright say, "Hey, I saw you rubbing up on my cousin after I told you not to get near him. Meet me in the back parking lot after school. I have a special snack for you called mouth full of bullets"?

"Uh-huh." I hum nonchalantly instead, my eyes flicking at our peers running near us. I wish I had a pencil. I should write them all thank-you notes for helping play a part in keeping me alive and playing witness. "I do my best with the circumstances."

"Sure you do. Watch your back." Griffin tilts his head up, mocking me with a kind goodbye as he runs faster, slipping into the crowd.

What was that all about? He definitely knows about Parker and I's rendezvous, but it was a stupid one-time thing... Even if I wish otherwise.

A part of me, actually all of me, longs for a relationship with that boy, except I know that that's not feasible. Griffin had a point the other night and settled that point just now, too.

Keeping Parker out of trouble is keeping me out of trouble.

As much as I love being around him, talking with him, messing around with him, touching him, and simply staying close to his energy, I don't want to be the one to cross his boundary lines. If he isn't ready for a relationship, I won't pursue it.

This has to be Parker's choice because I can't wreck another life.

-  -  -

When the third hour rolls around, I keep to myself as I walk into history class. Not only do I want to avoid Parker after what Griffin had to say, but I also have a lot weighing on my mind, apart from the whole gay-or-not mystery.

By a lot, I mean my family and some news my mom sprung on me last night.

Just trying to think about family drama makes my stomach hurt.

Dude, take your mind off of that shit, I scold myself. School now, life problems later.

My little pep talk pulls me out of my stupor, and I feel a little better, yet it still doesn't solve my problems.

I glance up from the tiles and hook my thumbs into my backpack straps. Horse shit.

Parker is already here with his feet propped up on my chair, non-discreetly looking at his phone. I catch his gaze zip away from mine as I look at him. Real slick.

"Miles! How has your Monday been so far?" Greyson asks cheerily as he looks up from where he's highlighting lecture notes behind his desk.

I slow down to smile at Greyson. His son might be a major dick, but he has always shown me kindness. Plus, he's one of the only adults that treats me fairly here.

Okay, and maybe he's a major DILF.

"Pretty low-key, it's just another day in the life. You?" I ask politely, spinning around on my heels to walk backward toward my desk so I can still face Greyson.